HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Newly built computer experiencing issues.

by swk9 / August 5, 2010 6:28 AM PDT

I recently built a computer with the following components and installed Windows 7.

Motherboard - ASUS 4A78T-E
CPU - AMD Phenom II x2 555
RAM - OCZ DDR3 1333MHz Gold Edition, 2x2048Mb (OCZ3G1333LV4GK)
HD - Westen Digital 500GB (WD59991AALS)
DVD Drive - Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE
Video Card - ASUS EAH5750
Power Supply - 500W OCZ500SXS2

I have been having issues with the BSOD, citing such problems as"Bad Pool Header" and "System Service Exception". These errors happen within ten minutes of booting up, and if they did not occur, the computer would run fine, though this was the case a couple days ago. Today things seem worse, and the BSOD is happening within 3-5 minutes. Safe mode is fine, though Safe mode with networking also brings the BSOD. I have all the most up-to-date drivers installed. I am not too sure where to go from here. I am thinking of just breaking everything down, and building from the ground up again. I have done two test, one of the hard drive and the other on the RAM. I think I can rule out a bad HD or RAM. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newly built computer experiencing issues.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newly built computer experiencing issues.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Mentioned Of Where You Got Those Drivers..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 10:00 AM PDT

Windows 7 doesn't install the motherboard/chipset, video, audio, ethernet, wireless, or most other drivers for the system.. When I see such errors, I visit the device manufacturer's website and once again download the most recent driver for each device.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sorry about lack of information.
by swk9 / August 5, 2010 1:06 PM PDT

Unfortunately I have already tried your solution, but that is my fault for not stating that in my previous post. Regardless, I appreciate the suggestion.

Collapse -
While I agree on the HD test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 11:17 PM PDT

I'm still seeing RAM test fall short. Here's MY TEST. I see if the motherboard BIOS is current and that the RAM is on the support list. If not I know I'm into a reading of the memory PDF specifications and comparing that to the motherboard chip timing. I don't do this for you!

Another test I do is use the latest BIOS, the default settings and ONE STICK OF RAM.

If that works I try the next stick.

Worth noting is a few recent encounters with Windows 7 "Activators." Those created such failures and the owners were livid about that finding.

Bob

Collapse -
RAM timings
by swk9 / August 6, 2010 3:16 AM PDT

My RAM timings are suppose to be CL 9-9-9-20(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

My motherboard is set to auto and currently has the following configuration

DRAM Timing/Driving Config.

DRAM Command Rate - Auto (Other options 1T and 2T)

DRAM 1st Information: 9-9-9-20-5-33-10-5
TCL ? Auto
TRCD ? Auto
TRP ? Auto
TRAS ? Auto
TRTP ? Auto
TRC ? Auto
TWR ? Auto
TRRD ? Auto

DRAM 2nd Information: 8-2-5-4-4-0-110
TRWTTO ? Auto
TWRRD ? Auto
TWTR ? Auto
TWRWR ? Auto
TRDRD ? Auto
TRFC0 ? Auto
TRFC1 ? Auto
TREF - Auto

With all that I am not sure what to touch and what not to. If someone could advise me on how I should tweak my mobo settings for my RAM, that would be sweet.

THANKS!

Collapse -
Notice the sticks differ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM timings

Try it with stick #2 all by itself.

Again you are showing that memory isn't simple. It's a shame those that sell this stuff don't support you here. It's a lot of work to check the numbers so I only offer simple advice. 1) Latest BIOS so we have a chance the motherboard maker has updated the timing for different sticks and 2) testing with one stick at a time.

And by testing I do not mean a "ram test." I mean the real test. Using the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried out your idea.
by swk9 / August 6, 2010 6:55 AM PDT

Bob,

I tried out your idea, and things seem to actually run, unlike before when it was BSOD pretty soon after windows' start up. However, both sticks work well, it is no one in particular that is the problem. On the brightside, I have reinstall both, and things are running well. It seems when I removed the RAM, it changed the settings on my motherboard, settings that actually work! I am not holding my breath though, since I have seen the computer run well for a day, and then go crazy. I'll just see what happens and keep you posted. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Spencer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.