Video Cameras forum

General discussion

newbies need your recommandation

by serenitypro87 / March 15, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

hi,
i am looking for a camcorder.i am setting my budget around 600-700 dollars. i've seen a couple, but there's just soo many choices and i don't know which to pick. i've been asked to video tape my uncle's wedding which is in august. so i guess you can say i need a camera that will do good in a wedding. any help will be great. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: newbies need your recommandation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: newbies need your recommandation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Videographers who
by boya84 / March 16, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

do weddings for a living use camcorders that are more $. They typically also have experience.

Personally, I would NEVER do video at a wedding. Especially for a family member. (and I have been asked many times by family and friends.) If this is supposed to be a fun family event, you don't get to participate because you are doing the video. If the video does not turn out well, you are blamed. When your battery runs out of power and you can't get the 2nd half of the ceremony or reception or whatever, you are blamed. If the lighting is poor and the video you get does not look good, you are blamed. When it comes time to edit and what you come up with is not what they were expecting, you are the bad guy.

If you are not the only person taking video, then go for it - but remember the above. But at least take a hint from the pros... Use a miniDV tape based camera. Use a tripod, monopod or other steadying device - Humans were not built to remain steady. Get extra rechargeable high-capacity batteries. There is no camcorder that comes with a "good" battery in the box. If it is a night ceremony or reception or it is expected to be dark when you are getting video, get a good video light (in the budget you have stated, there is no good "low-light" camera). Consider how the audio will be captured. If you are taping the ceremony and you are at the back of the room, the camera's built-in mics are also at the back of the room - which means they cannot hear anything. Will the camcorder you select need an external mic? What kind?

If you do decide to go down this path, a couple of extra batteries, a decent tripod, a decent external (possibly wireless) mic, video light... basically, your camera budget is about 1/2 of what you think it is... so $300-$400 for just the camcorder. This takes you to the Canon ZR family... with a mic connection, you are limited to the Canon ZR800 and Canon ZR900. There is no Sony, Panasonic or other miniDV tape based camcorder (or other media storage, for that matter) that fits the requirements (of which I am aware), so trying to determine "best video quality" or all the other stuff, does not even come into the discussion...

Collapse -
wow....
by serenitypro87 / March 17, 2008 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Videographers who

thankyou very much for the many tips. now i am definitely having second thoughts.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!