TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Newbie With A Need For Outdoor Speakers

by Loafster / September 11, 2006 8:35 AM PDT

I'd like deck out my new porch (12ft. x 15ft.) with a set of outdoor speakers and don't have any idea which companies make quality outdoor speakers. I'd like to get speakers that will deliver good sound good and be weather-resistent. (I live in Chicago and the winters can be brutal.) Also, the speakers will need to be water resistent since they will get wet when it rains. Any recommendations? I'd like to avoid spending more than $300 for the pair. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie With A Need For Outdoor Speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie With A Need For Outdoor Speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's A Couple.....
by RoadRunner6 / September 11, 2006 5:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
Why No Bose?
by Loafster / September 12, 2006 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's A Couple.....

Thanks for the links RoadRunner.

I apologize if this is obvious to most forum readers, but why do you recommend staying away from the Bose outdoor speakers? Durability? Sound quality? Price? Combination of all three? Just curious since they seem to be popular.

Collapse -
Bose Is....
by RoadRunner6 / September 12, 2006 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Why No Bose?

...probably the only single brand in Audio products that gets ''bashed'' consistently other than obviously low priced cheap junk.

The reason is that Bose is an excellent example of the ultimate marketing business plan. Their products, quality/performance wise are OK for maybe 50% or so of their selling price. They concentrate on appearance and ease of operation (nothing wrong with this). However, rather than putting quality inside they put most of their efforts into marketing. They obviously spend a much higher percentage of their budget on marketing their products than any other company. Bose adds are everywhere. The sound quality is medicore at best.

Most people who are not knowledgeable in audio think Bose are the best speakers, because they hear that name over and over in slick ads. Those who have not compared performance and don't know any better think what they have is great. Only the prices are great. In fact the prices of their home theater systems are outrageous. Many of us who are heavy into audio and video resent this type of company. We want to get real value for our hard earned money. There are many great audio companies out their who primarily sell their speakers based on real value due to excellent performance.

A good example is to visit www.audioreview.com and read the owner speaker reviews on popular models of speakers. You will find very good to excellent reviews on most speakers. Try the Energy Take 5 system for example. Then check out the reviews on some of the Bose Acoutimass speakers and you will undstand the problem with Bose.

The end of today's anti-Bose sermon!

RR6

Collapse -
Also this one form JBL.
by jcrobso / September 12, 2006 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's A Couple.....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?