Question

Newbie w/ Qs re: WD external hd

Just got a My Book Essential 1.5 TB HD

A few things I want to ask:

- How exactly do I add files / folders *manually*?

- I read online that seemed to strongly advise you do Not add or use the WD Smartware. Ok. Already installed & used it. What have I done or what's in store for me now? What to do from here?

- How exactly do I double check that what *appears* to be backed up in the HD is Really there?

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Newbie w/ Qs re: WD external hd
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Newbie w/ Qs re: WD external hd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Just use it...

Let's be 100% clear here, *ANY* ext. HD storage is NOT permanent, so take heed and save critical data to discs. If super critical, then make multiple copies.

Next, treat your ext. HD like eggs just to cover it should be treated well. No matter how they advertise it, HDs still have moving parts,etc. and damage can be done one way or another. Mount and dismount using the proper procedure, don't just disconnect, even though you may have done this many times before, it can bite you. Oh yeah, power issues, be sure to take care of that, remember, most ext. HD need low voltage to run, so spikes aren't good.

Last, treat the ext. media like any other media storage. That's all it is another area to store media. While you want this as back-up or similar, use what came with it, it works. However, if manual, then again the user need only make a folder or directory or even partition it and use that storage. Do this as if it were like an int. HD, same-o same-o, like you've done before, that ext. HD, is drive ???. You can check shareware s/w or freebies, check out GoodSync as an example. The www.download.con here is a good source among others.

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Thank you...

I'm definitely very careful about handling these things. This is my 2nd ext. hd.

From what I was able to see/try on this new one, I can't see where in the WD screen that I can do any folder creation or dragging. I'll have another look. You familiar with these particular models? ('cause the official WD forum is slow as molasses)

- Collapse -
One step at a time...

The real quick and dirty way is to have the source and destination both displayed. You create the folder or directory you want on the new drive. You click on it and menu pops-up make "new" etc.. Once done, you click on your source data and click and drag to new location you just made -OR- drag to open area of desktop then drag from there to new final location.

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?15567-Exporting-Folders-into-new-External-Hard-Drive-(without-photos)

The above link seems to cover much of any PC would need to do. It offers to use "sync s/w" as well. This maybe all trial and error, so you may want to play with this using less important files/folders, etc., before you do the big move. I suggest some dummy .DOC file or less important one.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Okay...

What I ended up doing (& I should've thought of it way earlier), was go to My Computer, click & open the WD hd icon & simply dragged/dropped from there. I went back into WD & everything seemed to be in place where I put it.

I definitely want to save my music in at least 3 separate places, on cd etc, but it's a real pain since I have a good 30+ GBs of music. Even if I used DVDs, it'd still take several disks to do that. =/

- Collapse -
Parting shot

I know that it's a PITA to do all this copying and several at that. BUT! if you check this forum all those users that ask for advise in helping recover data or steps to save from further damage, yada, yada, it's something you have to accept. It's the nature of beast, frequent back-up or syncs to store data in several places. good luck -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Yeah, I know...

I just gotta bite the bullet & do it.
Thanks a bunch for your time & advice. You were an enormous help.

CNET Forums