General discussion

Newbie to multi-OS/ VirtualBox

I've recently retired from 36 years as a Biomed Eng for the VA and was thinking of using some of my newly acquired free time to play around with Linux on a virtual machine on my HP AMD Athlon II dual core machine with 6gig of 800MHZ DDR and Vista Home premium 64. VirtualBox seems to be a good option though I know very little about it. I have what I assume are classic newbie questions. Does it eliminate device driver collections for the guest OS to work with the physical machine or must one get all the guest OS specific physical device drivers for functionality of video board etc in the guest OS? That seems to be the biggie for someone like me as I'm pretty sure the machine is robust enough to support a guest OS or 2.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Newbie to multi-OS/ VirtualBox
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Newbie to multi-OS/ VirtualBox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Go do that.

Since a Virtual Box install lets you try and try again with no real down side why not do this and find out?

Here, I didn't need to find any drivers. The host virtual box provides all I need.
Bob

- Collapse -
VirtualBox here I come

Thanks I'll do that. I just like to get an experienced opinion before opening a potential box of frustration.

- Collapse -
Later of course

Of course if I don't step away from the PC and get my tomato and pepper plants started TODAY, I'll never get an fruits this year! it's nice having a bunch of interests.

- Collapse -
Linux Distribution

Now that I've downloaded VirtualBox, I was hoping you could recommend a good starter (teaching) distribution of Linux. My only associated experience is with a limited command prompt text entry on a SUN machine (Unix)for servicing a Marquette Electronics application of it and some similar work with their Centralscope which was a Unix based vital signs monitoring central station. Both are dead and removed from the hospital inventory now. That work was many years ago.

- Collapse -
The usual names to try are

UBUNTU and Puppy Linux.

Both are different flavors and you may find you like one over the other.
Bob

- Collapse -
UBUNTU it is

Thanks again. I'll try this one first.

CNET Forums