Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

Newbie to Mac transferring data from pc

by ritamcbride / September 1, 2011 2:44 AM PDT

HELP!! Can someone pls tell me how to transfer files from mozy to my mac os x 10.5.8? I have been downloading files for a week and also ez7z to help convert the pc data to os x data (pls don't make the mistake that I know what I am doing). Some of the files have completed the download and when I try to open them I get:Can't make last item of {}into type string. (-1700). Pls, pls, pls tell me I don't have to download the files again.
I have the programs I need already on my macbook.
Thanks for your help.

ritamcbride has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie to Mac transferring data from pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie to Mac transferring data from pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ritamcbride

Collapse -
I didn't know how to edit my above post
by ritamcbride / September 1, 2011 3:00 AM PDT

Sorry, I also get the very blunt statement: the document ...Could not be opened, or: Can not open file as archive.
what's that all about?

Collapse -
Don't know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

I don't use Mozy but did use Dropbox. In dropbox a file is a file so no conversion was needed for a document. Those just open in Word. (You do have Word for the Mac?)

As to zip files, you'll need an app for that.

Collapse -
I do have office for mac
by ritamcbride / September 1, 2011 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't know.

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean I don't need to convert from mozy to ex7z? When I want to preview the file to see what's in it it looks like chinese to me.
What do I do w/can't open in dos mode and could not open as archive?

Collapse -
As far as I know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 3:26 AM PDT

We toss files back and forth all the time. A .doc file opens fine on any machine. However that's not what you asked for in your last post. You want PREVIEW to work. For that I remember I have to open the doc, make any change (even delete a space then tap space) then save it. That gets Word to save it on the machine and preview might work.

I can guess some want more than that .

Collapse -
Pardon my ignorance, but what is ex7z?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 5:25 AM PDT

and how does this fit into the routine of moving your data files from a PC to your Mac.

If this is a new Mac, then the Migration Assistant will move all your data files from your PC to your Mac.

Remember that it is ONLY data files that you can move over, all your program files will NOT work on your Mac and cannot be converted.
Your pictures, music, movies, documents and the like, will all make the move and "should" not need converting to some other format.

What exactly are you moving?

Collapse -
by ritamcbride / September 1, 2011 8:20 AM PDT

The tech guy at Mozy told me to use ez7z to convert my pc data to mac data. I think this was mostly for the quicken and groove programs, or it might have been because he archived my data so I could download it more easily? I'm really guessing at this as he told me an awful lot of stuff I didn't really understand. Of course, there is always the possibility he suggested this to make it easier for me as I really don't know what I am doing here.

I have a lot to learn about the macbook and it's really slow going. Any advice or links you can give me to help me learn would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
If this is a new MacBook and,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: same

it is running OS X 10.7.x (Lion) then Quicken will not run on it.
To check what version you are running, go to the Apple at the top left of the screen, click on it and choose, About this Mac.
The page that appears will tell you exactly what version you are running.

Collapse -
by ritamcbride / September 2, 2011 12:21 AM PDT

Thanks mrmacfixit (great ID)

Collapse -
Force Quit the Ez7z process
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: same

by holding down the Control + Option + Escape key, select Ez7z app and hit Force Quit.

I think, maybe, that you are trying to decompress these files while they are still up there in the Cloud and not on your computer.

Open the Mozy folder and drag the files onto your desktop. It may take a while for them to download but, once they have, it should only take a minute or two (at the most) to decompress them.

Do you still have the PC?

Do you have a Flash drive?

Can you get one?

if yes to either of the last two questions, then use it to copy the files from the PC to the Mac.

Collapse -
by ritamcbride / September 3, 2011 2:33 AM PDT

Hey mrmacfixit,

Collapse -
glad you got it fixed
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Now that your files are on your MacBook, and decompressed, you should not have any further major problems with them.

Collapse -
help, again:(
by ritamcbride / September 3, 2011 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: glad you got it fixed

OK, I got files transferred and now I would like to hilite a number of files to delete them. On pc I could ctrl and click on individual files and delete all at once. If the files were all together, I could hilite first file, click shift and then click last file to be be deleted and the whole block btwn the top and bottom would hilite and I could delete all at once.

Collapse -
you will be surprised to know
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: help, again:(

that the routine is almost exactly the same on your Mac.

To select individual files that are not contiguous, use Command + Left Click
to select contiguous files use Left click to select the first file and Shift + Left Click to select the last file. All files in-between the two will be selected.

The above method works in all views with the exception of Icon View. For that you just click and drag to draw a box around the group of icons you want to select.

Once selected, Right Click and Sent to Trash, or click and drag them there.

I'm surprised you did not try that first.

BTW, duplicate postings of the same question does not mean you get a faster or better answer.
Please don't do it.

I will be deleting the other thread.

Glad you found the New Thread button

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 11:57 PM PDT

When you see the no replies message in the forum, reply to the top entry to continue.

I hope you are sorting this all out.

Collapse -
Got it
by ritamcbride / September 4, 2011 5:56 AM PDT

thanks mrmacfixit. I did try the command and clik but I have to get used to using the button bar instead of just tapping the mouse pad. That's why it didn't work for me.

Collapse -
Thanks for the wishes,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it

there are a number of Mods that plod around the Mac forums and it is not just the Mods that answer questions, although it does seem like that at times.
Anybody is welcome to answer.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?