PC Hardware forum

General discussion

newbie to building needs help before pulling hair out

by m0nk3ys_nuts / July 16, 2005 3:45 AM PDT

I hope this is something common...

Ive just finished building my first pc.ive followed all the wiring diagrams and intructions in all my intruction books but this keeps happening.

i plug the power lead in the back of the compter and get a red led on the motherboard which the intsructions say that the motherboard is recieving power.i then turn the power button on and get a green led and the fans start up but a second after the computer turns off leaving me with the red led again.ive disconnected everything three times now and follewed the instructions each time but the problem keeps coming up.does this ring any bells with anyone?

thanks for your time
leon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: newbie to building needs help before pulling hair out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: newbie to building needs help before pulling hair out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most new motherboards
by TONI H / July 16, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

have an automatic shut down to protect the cpu if it's not seated properly or the HSF isn't protecting it enough and it overheats (usually due to the thermal paste or sticky thing isn't enough, too much, forgotten about or if the fan wasn't mounted properly on top of the cpu). I would check there before anywhere else.

TONI

Collapse -
along with what was said there
by ozos / July 16, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

if you have an AthlonXP or Sempron for Socket A (or Pentium 3) and are using a TIM (not a pad) ensure that the TIM is only the die (The reflective purple-ish thing in the middle of the chip) and not touching any of the bridges (basically if it's not isolated to that part, and it touches contacts on the chip it can cause issues)

Collapse -
The RED LED on the mobo ONLY means
by Ray Harinec / July 16, 2005 8:28 AM PDT

that the 5 volt standby voltage is applied to the mobo. This is what you need for the front power switch to be able to turn the system on. The Main 5 volts, the 12 volts and the 3.3 volts.

You may have made the mistake of assembling the entire system before doing an absolute minimal assembly to check that the power supply turns on properly.

If you would like to troubleshoot, remove/disconnect everything except the PS to MOBO [connectors] Should be two in the newer mobos, the 20 pin [or 24 opin] and the 4 pin 12 volt connector that powers the CPU.

One stick of memory, the front panel connections to the mobo [hopefully with a speaker], the CPU and its HSF plugged in. No cards, no floppy, no mouse, no keyboard. At this point you if the power supply is plugged in, the RED LED on, you should be able to hit the front power switch and the supply should turn on and stay on, simply turn it off again by hitting the power switch again, sometimes you may have to holsd it depressed for up to five seconds.

If you can't get this far don't waste time on anything else. It AIN"T gonna get better by adding anything.

Still have the problem?? Maybe the mobo is shorting to the baseplate due to incorrect installation.

Keep us posted.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!