Computer Newbies forum

Question

Newbie questions re Ubuntu

by wpgwpg / December 22, 2012 10:30 AM PST

I posted a question about how to get started with Ubuntu in the How To forum, but all I've gotten so far is comments about how easy it is. Unfortunately that leaves my questions unanswered, and I really need help. If some kind soul out there could provide this newbie a few answers, I'd sure be most appreciative.
I just want to create a CD or DVD I can boot from when needed, I don't want to install anything under Windows or make any changes to my hard drives. Is that possible? I've gotten the impression that it is, but need help figuring out how to do that.
I went to download.com and typed in Ubuntu in the search window. At the top of the list was a PDF converter which I know I don't need. Next is a link to webcraller.com search, so I clicked on that and got a bewildering 9 pages of different places. So I clicked on one that takes me to http://www.ubuntu.com/download . The first thing I see there is a screen talking about replacing my OS. This is precisely what I do NOT want to do! I downloaded a PDF called Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference which tells how to install Ubuntu on your hard drive, but not onto a CD like I want to do.
I've never used anything like this before and I don't have a clue about Ubuntu. It may seem simple to some, but it's bewildering and frightening to me. As I mentioned in my other post, I had some version of Linux wipe out 5 partitions a couple of years ago (it was an Acronis True Image recovery disc), and I want to be very careful not to have that happen again. I hope that's understandable. Now I've gone to http://www.ubuntu.com/download and downloaded what is described as the Ubuntu desktop. Is that what I was supposed to download? It's not obvious to a neophite whether it is or not. Anyway I burned the ISO to a CD, and when I put it in the drive, it wanted to run WUBI.EXE and do an install. I've been told I don't have to install it to use it. Then how do I do that? It's certainly not obvious to this newbie. I'm sure if I'd done this hundreds of times, it would seem as "obvious" to me as it does to some, but remember I'm a complete newbie with Ubuntu and very weary of having another 5 partitions wiped out like I did once before.
Much thanks in advance to anyone who can help me answer these questions. I hope I've made my needs clear here. If not I'll be glad to provide any requested info.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie questions re Ubuntu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie questions re Ubuntu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Will a pictorial help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 10:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Many, many thanks, Bob
by wpgwpg / December 22, 2012 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Will a pictorial help?

I don't know how you manage to be so helpful to so many on so many subjects, but I thank you, I thank you, I thank you. Tell them I said to give you a big raise! Happy

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
sorry if I was obnoxious
by itsdigger / December 22, 2012 10:36 AM PST

but you have the option on the disc that you burned to either run to try out or download it as a replacement or share as a partition

Collapse -
You're somethin' else itsdigger :-)
by wpgwpg / December 22, 2012 11:32 AM PST

No hard feelings, itsdigger, but I have to say you're somethin' else. You haven't been smoking any funny stuff have you? Grin

Collapse -
nope , don't smoke
by itsdigger / December 22, 2012 12:43 PM PST

I don't understand why someone couldn't or wouldn't know (if they did the least little bit of research)why he/she wouldn't even know the most basic questions like can you run a Linux Live CD without installing it on your HDD, after all of the conversations here, so if that makes me sound like I'm smoking something, what does it make you sound like you're doing?

Collapse -
I was looking for how to get started
by wpgwpg / December 22, 2012 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: nope , don't smoke

with the research like I said in my posts. Thanks to Bob, that's exactly what I got, short and sweet.

Collapse -
Answer
Ubuntu/Kubuntu
by pgc3 / December 23, 2012 2:16 AM PST

Look into using the WUBI installer, IF you are trying to do a dual boot with Windows, it is the easiest way to go. There are other ways to run/load Linux Ubuntu, it just depends on what you want to use it for. I have used Ubuntu for years as a secondary OS and have one system running dual boot, WIN 7 / Ubuntu which was loaded via the WUBI installer, it has been so for a couple of years and has been flawless.

Collapse -
WUBI ugg.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Ubuntu/Kubuntu

For some odd reason I get more questions with WUBI instead of less from new to Linux users.
Bob

Collapse -
And I said at the beginning
by wpgwpg / December 23, 2012 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: WUBI ugg.

that I didn't want to use the WUBI installer anyway. Sad Thank goodness there're people like you, Bob, who can give a quick simple answer to a simple question. Happy

Collapse -
WUBI/LINUX
by pgc3 / December 25, 2012 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: WUBI ugg.

That may be so but as I said, there are several ways to go about using Linux Ubuntu/Kbuntu, it all depends on what you have in mind. If just as an experimental run, to get the feel of Linux, WUBI installer is very simple to do, you can always uninstall and go the ISO route using CD of FD. It is all a matter of choice. I have used various versions of Linux for quite a few years and have used different installation methods on different systems basically for experimentation purposes, it is interesting and challenging, certainly not as mundane as Windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.