Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Newbie question on graphics card?

by phattferd / January 4, 2005 5:20 PM PST

If I buy a stocked computer with a 64MB shared graphics card will I always be limited to 64MB graphics capability or if I buy a new card that is 126MB or 252MB and put it into the available AGP slot will it run at the new 126MB or max out at 64? Plus if it will run at the new higher speed will it still be shared/integrated?

Thanks, and please don't get too technical I may get lost. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie question on graphics card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie question on graphics card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Graphics card...
by dave-export / January 4, 2005 9:02 PM PST

Your new card will be recognized for what it is! It will not be shared/integrated. You might have to disable your onboard video either in the Bios or a jumper on your Motherboard. Read your system documentation.

Collapse -
If you mean...
by Willy / January 4, 2005 9:06 PM PST

"If I buy a stocked computer with a 64MB shared graphics card"
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

If you mean an on-board video port, it will be at it capabilities. It maybe possible it can have added ram added to it from the system resources but overall that's not desirable unless you have a system chock full of ram. Even then only so much can be added. If you add a video card, you can "disable" on-board video via the bios, check your manual.

Any added video card that you install to a slot will also be at its capabilities, starting with its *own* ram and most don't allow added ram later. Thus, you can't use system resources(ram) to increase the video ram. Having a video card is usually more desirable as its abilities exceed most mtrbd. provided video. The current ram having come with the card usually exceeds any on-board video like 64mb vs. 128mb if so equiped.

good luck Grin -----Willy

Collapse -
The guy at the store told me
by phattferd / January 5, 2005 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: If you mean...

That I can disable the old card (which is built into the motherboard) by going into the device manager screen or something. Does this sound accurate or do I need to go into the BIOS?

Collapse -
device manager
by glb613 / January 5, 2005 3:44 AM PST

You can disable the onboard graphics through the device manager. Open the device manager, open the disply adaptors, then double click on graphics listed. This will open a new window and where is says device usage, use this device(enabled), change it to disabled. Before you do anything, be sure to find out in what order you need to disable your onboard graphic and install your new card.

Collapse -
Phattferd, The Computer Store Guy Is Right..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 3:50 AM PST

Normally, it's not necessary to disable the "on board/integrated" graphics in the BIOS. In "Device Manager", on Windows XP and 2000, you can uninstall or disable the onboard graphics when installing the new one. That allows the new card to "take over" for the old one and it shouldn't cause conflicts that way. Sometimes, they will both show up after the installation and the onboard device can be disabled at that time.

To check that availability in Windows 200/XP, access the "Device Manager", click on the + sign next to "Display Adapters", then RIGHT click on your current video device, choose 'Properties". On the "General" tab, at the bottom of the window, you should see a "Device Usage" line. Use the drop down menu to see the other option to "Do not use this device (disable)".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Graphic Card
by John Robie / January 6, 2005 12:24 AM PST

Had to read your post a couple times to answer your specific questions.

1. If the computer you are considering has an AGP slot you can install a new Graphics Card with 128MB and it will run at 128MB and not shared. The 252MB is overkill for your PC in my opinion, and besides I haven't played any of the latest games that require 252MB...but 252mb will be effective in the future, however for years the 128MB will play along side the 252MB card in games.
Course if a computer has integrated (on board) graphics without an AGP slot, a PCI card of 128MB can be installed but is limited and not be as effective as an AGP slot

2. Your AGP slot may probably be at X4, which most computers now have. If it has an 8x slot that is a bonus, but 8x video cards will play good in 4x slots.

Believe Moderator Grif and others have covered the disabling of the integrated (on board) graphics.

JR

Collapse -
It's Nice to see all the replys...
by dave-export / January 7, 2005 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Graphic Card

but he /she did say not to get too technical, and aren't you guys basically repeating what I said in the very first reply, only instead of putting it in laymans' terms, you're elaberating on all the details? Why not just keep it plain and simple? and help someone out! instead of trying to show your "knowledge" of a certain subject?

Collapse -
excuse me?
by glb613 / January 7, 2005 9:46 PM PST

I don't recall a forum policy that limits the number of replies allowed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?