TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Newbie question about performance

by jhycca / September 17, 2009 6:08 AM PDT

I just brought home an lcd tv for the first time and had a question about how it is supposed to perform. First of all the picture watching HD channels is usually spectacular, I can get enough of it. However, every once in a while the picture loses integrity under certain conditions and I get an outline around a moving person or object, and even pixelation which was particularly intense during one scene where the background was very bright white and moire-like and the subject was moving in front. But then most moving objects and bright patterns are fine, this happens only rarely. So, am I supposed to be getting perfect pictures with zero artifacts all the time or are occasional artifacts like this normal while viewing lcd tvs, or is it the cable reception? Should I return this and try another set? Any information would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie question about performance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie question about performance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Somewhat normal
by Pepe7 / September 17, 2009 6:21 AM PDT

The cable feeds can vary widely IME. Channel to channel, provider to provider for sure. No HD feeds are perfect, but some come awfully close. YMMV.

It would also help to know which HDTV & Cable box you are using(?)

-Pedro

Collapse -
Model numbers
by jhycca / September 17, 2009 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Somewhat normal

The tv is LG 47LH50 and the cable box is Motorola DCX-3200 Comcast cable, though I noticed the occasional wavy outline happening without the cable box as well.

Collapse -
If you feel...
by Pepe7 / September 17, 2009 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Model numbers

...the problem is happening frequently you could always have them provide a replacement box. They also could check your line & wiring. I've had to swap comcast boxes several times to get one that 'stuck' per se.

The underlying issue is sometimes the heavily compressed feeds they are using to pass sometimes as an HD feed. It doesn't always cut the mustard ;(.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Cable signal
by jhycca / September 18, 2009 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: If you feel...

Yes, I think it is just the cable signal, I see it on my CRT as well when I look closely, it's just amplified when you see it on the lcd tv.

Collapse -
Definitely have a tech come out to your house
by Pepe7 / September 18, 2009 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable signal

If the service charge isn't exorbitant, it wouldn't hurt for them to check your line/signal quality. (I do realize this doesn't cure poor feeds from the source per se.) FWIW, there was a problem on the pole last year when the Comcast techs were at my home fixing issues with the digital voice service. What they did also seemed to affect my CATV since the PQ was a little sharper on some of the upper channels afterwards, FWIW.

-P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.