Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Newbie Q about Wireless networking at home..

Hi. I really dont know that much about wireless networking.

I currently have a Desktop PC that uses a Cable modem for broadband internet (I dont think that it has either a network card or a PCI Card). However I recently purchased a laptop with wireless functions that I would like to use in another room. But I dont want the computers connected, as in not creating a network, only sharing the modem.

Is it possible just use a type of router of have access to wireless in one area, yet not affect the desktop (ie: leave it hooked up as is)???

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie Q about Wireless networking at home..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie Q about Wireless networking at home..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Newbie Q about Wireless networking at home..

But linksys.com and dlink.com have instructions at their websites about how to use their wireless routers. Why the answer is no is simple. The machines will have to be connected to the router.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe you can

In reply to: No.

You don?t give us any information about your systems or your modem. You say that you don?t think the desktop has a network card, so how does the cable modem connect to it ? by USB (the only other choice)? If so, there may be a way to easily accomplish what you want, depending on the make and model of your modem.

Some modems, such as the Motorola SurfBoard models 5100 and 5120, support simultaneous use of Ethernet and USB; some other makes do not support this -- check the manual for your modem. If it is supported, you should be able to keep your desktop on the USB connection, connect the Ethernet connection of the modem to the WAN connector of a wireless router, and both of your systems could use the Internet. There would be no networking between the two computers. I have never done this myself as I use strictly Ethernet, but I have seen postings of people using both USB and Ethernet simultaneously in direct connection. Also the Motorola manual diagrams a system with one computer connected to the modem via USB, and an Ethernet switch with multiple computers connected to the modem?s Ethernet port. Off hand, I see no reason it shouldn?t work the same with a wireless router/switch. Perhaps Bob knows of a problem with this.

As for cost, around here we can usually get a D-Link DI-524wireless router/switch for $20 after rebate; I use both the SurfBoard 5100 and the DI-524, and am quite happy with both.

I?m not sure why you do not want to have the two systems networked, unless they are used by two different people, and you want the highest degree of privacy between them. Otherwise, I would think networking would be advantageous in several respects. But this is your choice. If, in the future you should decide you do want to network the systems, all you would need to do is remove the USB connection to the desktop and make an Ethernet connection from the desktop to the router.

Hope this helps

Frank

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.