HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Newbie Networking Question

by timholtz / January 26, 2008 11:41 PM PST

I am going to be setting up a home network and I have a quick question. I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router in one room and what I want to do is run an ethernet cable from the wireless router to another room. Here's my question. In the second room I have a couple of devices that I need connected. So can I plug that cable into a hub/switch/router (not sure of the difference)with a couple extra ports on it in the second room so all my devices can be connected?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie Networking Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie Networking Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Yes. That's exactly how its done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 12:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Yes. That's exactly how its done.
by timholtz / January 27, 2008 1:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Nice choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 1:29 AM PST

Yes, that's a good solution.

Collapse -
The basic difference
by At The Opera / January 27, 2008 1:07 AM PST

The basic difference between a hub, switch, and router is the following.

Hubs are shared bandwidth. So if you have say 5 devices connected to a hub with a 100Mbps connection, then each of those devices will get a maximum data rate of 20Mbps.

Switches are dedicated bandwidth. It doesn't matter how many devices are connected, each is capable of operating at the 100Mbps connection to the rest of the network. The obvious catch is that if you only have a single 100Mbps link to the rest of the network, multiple devices can't be communicating with the rest of the network at 100Mbps each. So if you have two computers on a switch, each of them is trying to download a large file from another computer somewhere on the network simultaneously, you won't get the full 100Mbps speed on both downloads.

Routers are like smart switches. Switches can route data on a local network, routers can route data from one network to another. So for example, your home LAN to the Internet. Or maybe one branch office to another via some kind of private link.

There's probably some network engineer out there rolling their eyes at my simple explanation, but it should be good enough to help you understand the basics.

Collapse -
Re: The basic difference
by timholtz / January 27, 2008 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: The basic difference

So in theory, if I had a switch and two computers connected to it along with the uplink to the rest of the network, two computers accesses the network at the same time would come close to splitting the bandwidth (50Mb/50Mb on a 100Mb network). If only one computer was accessing the network it could use the entire 100Mb, right?

Anyway thank you, I searched the internet for what the difference was and all I could find was extremely technical explainations.

Tim

Collapse -
Sorry, in a switch...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 1:54 AM PST

As long as we don't tax the overall bandwidth of said switch with computers A to D, a file copy from A to B and a file copy from C to D at the same time will proceed at full 100 megabit speeds. There is no bandwidth sharing in this scenario.

Bob

Collapse -
Like Bob said
by At The Opera / January 27, 2008 2:15 AM PST

Until you exceed the capacity of the link to the rest of the network, there is no bandwidth splitting or sharing going on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.