TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Newbie needs help with purchases

by mick7698 / March 27, 2010 12:18 AM PDT

I'm on a very limited budget but need to update. I need a TV, DVD player and laptop. It is important to note that at my current residence I am unable to hook up to HD services. Keeping in mind my low budget and the future, here is my question: What kind of TV is available for me to purchase (19"-22") that will allow me to add DVD and hook up to my comuputer (currently XP Home and likely W7 future). I've been told if I buy a HDTV It won't be full screen and the resolution will only be so so if not hooked up to HD device. Sorry if the question sounds confusing but then I am too. I'm hoping to purchase the TV, DVD and computer before July 1st of this year. Any advice will be appreciated. My technology level is probably between low and medium.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie needs help with purchases
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie needs help with purchases
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are missing some small detail here.
by ahtoi / March 27, 2010 1:17 AM PDT

The budget number and what is the laptop for. With tv; 22" I think is too small. The best bang for the bucks usually in a 32" tv (just I thought on this).

Collapse -
Further infomation
by mick7698 / March 27, 2010 2:56 AM PDT

I'm allowing for $800. The reason for the small size TV is I live in a small apartment. My viewing distance would be 10'-12'. At my age these purchases will likely be my last in this category. I'm hoping they can be interactive. I'd like to be able to put my LP's on disk. Watch movies from my computer on the TV and record from both the TV and the computer to DVD. Besides what could be described as office work I like taking pictures and movies with my digital camera (cannon powerShot 580) adn put them on my computer. That sort of thing. I really appreciate your help.

Collapse -
As a start;
by ahtoi / March 27, 2010 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Further infomation

for tv, I thought this looks pretty good. You should be able to get a dvd player for less than $50. which leaving you about $400-450 for the laptop. Sorry I don't own or use any laptop so no comment from me.

Collapse -
Oop..forgot the link again.
by ahtoi / March 27, 2010 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: As a start;
Collapse -
TV and DVD
by mick7698 / March 27, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

Thanks for your work. I too know about forgetting. Just sent an email refering to three attachments that somehow didn't make it into the email..lol I think I have a handle on the laptop but I'm not very good at tv or DVD's. I'm still using vcr tapes...lol Again many thanks.

Collapse -
Laptop budget is borderline- one recommendation
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2010 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: TV and DVD

$800 is on the low side, and $500 still doesn't buy you much of laptop from a multimedia perspective. OTOH, you might be able to squeak by for $600 + tax. The cheaper Core 2 duo laptops they're trying to get rid of lately for less $ often lack RAM, and HDMI port or have a slower hard drive which doesn't help working with multimedia applications.

FWIW, I had a friend going back to grad school on a budget pick up a current lappy from Best Buy which had decent specifications for the price point.

HP laptop 62-144DX
$599
15.6" LED backlit LCD screen
Intel Core i3-330m processor
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB SATA Hard drive (7200rpm)
HDMI out port
wireless 'n' & bluetooth

<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+-+Biscotti/9769412.p?id=1218170030050&skuId=9769412>

*cut and paste what's inbetween the angle brackets if necessary.

Collapse -
Laptop info
by mick7698 / March 28, 2010 11:02 PM PDT

Thank you so much pepe. You have been very helpful.

Collapse -
Correction to model number
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2010 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop info

Ack. I missed a 'G' in the model number. Here it is:

HP laptop G62-144DX

[but you probably clicked on the link ;)]

regards,
P

Collapse -
Sorry- additional food for thought
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2010 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: TV and DVD

I forgot to add a couple more points [again, my age showing here too ;)].

1) DVD players are certainly cheap enough. You could also simply use your PC/laptop as the DVD player and connect it to your new HDTV.

2) Regarding your W7 upgrade, make certain the old PC hardware w/ XP Home is up to snuff before bothering. Of course if you end up with a new laptop running W7 this point is moot ;).

3) Understanding your budget concerns, Are you absolutely sure you want to bother with such a tiny screen for HD(?) Even the increased resolution of a 32" HDTV which was kindly suggested is barely resolveable by the human eye at the distance you are viewing from. Even an air force pilot can't discern the HD resolution on a 22" screen from 10 feet(!) My own father is in a similar situation. His next upgrade will likely be his last from a cost perspective. If this will truly be the 'last upgrade', don't you want to do it right(?)

4) How about finding a middle ground? Find a closeout HDTV/open box model with warranty at a big box retailer that lets you enjoy the increased capabilities of both PC & high definition format. 32 would the bare minimum with 37 being optimal. Maybe you could find a less expensive desktop as a replacement PC since the same specifications (if not better ) would be in the $500 range(?) They're also cheaper & easier to upgrade than laptops.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?