Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Newbie needs help picking out a camcorder!!!

by Powerpunk 5000 / September 10, 2008 4:57 AM PDT

Thanks for any help! Keep in mind I have very little knowledge of digital cameras and camcorders. I was looking at a specific camera (mentioned later) and wonder if it fits my needs:

Budget

Not looking to exceed 600 dollars.

Size

Fairly small, average camcorder size.

Features

I'm not too familiar with how important megapixels are. Perhaps some suggestions/explanations? I'd appreciate it.

Standard zoom should be good. Maybe a little extra.

Image/Video quality should be decent for making short movies (home and actual) within the 10-20 minute range.

Not really knowledgeable on shutter modes. Again, suggestions/explanations welcome.

General Usage

I'll use the camera mostly for youtube quality videos I will make. I plan on making home movies and short movie projects I'll be working on. I'd say about a 6 or 7 in quality if 10 is the very best. Maybe even a 5 will suffice for all I know. The resolution of the camcorder I have in mind is 720 x 480. Is that sound?

I more than likely won't make any big prints of stills, mostly just standard.

I plan on making a lot of videos indoors (in a fairly well-lit room)

I probably won't be making many action photos, but maybe every now and then.

Miscellaneous

Not sure brand-wise. I hear Sony is pretty good.

I actually have a camera in mind but not sure if it totally meets my requirements. It's the Sony DCR-SR45 30GB Handycam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie needs help picking out a camcorder!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie needs help picking out a camcorder!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few ideas...
by whizkid454 / September 10, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

First, the SR45 is an entry level hard disk drive (HDD) camcorder. It records to a built-in hard drive like the ones used in computers. The benefit of this type of storage is that you are able to store hours and hours of video during one session. (I believe that number is 7 hours on the highest quality setting for the 30GB.) I would recommend you backup your videos in case you would use them later. Doing this requires you to either use a computer hard drive or burn DVDs. It isn't a good idea to wait until the drive is full to backup because you probably would not be able to empty the contents until you got back to your computer and you don't want to risk losing all of the videos.

The other type that is recommended is well is miniDV. This is a tape format that has been around many years. It provides very good video quality. The benefit is that you end with "automatic archives" of your video because they stay on each tape. The (personal) downside to this format is you must continually buy tapes. You shouldn't reuse them. And those are also another set of items to carry with you on a day trip or what have you. Also, transfer time to the computer is in real time, for example, one hour of tape will take one hour to transfer to the computer, whereas, one hour of HDD camcorder video will take about 10-15 minutes.

Looking at your choice, it doesn't have a viewfinder, but it does have a rotating LCD (most camcorders do now). Megapixels aren't as important as usually thought. The entire system including the sensor, lens, and processing engine determine the output quality. Sony is widely respected in its sensor design whereas Canon is respected for its superior lens designs.

Some suggestions to mull over:

Canon ZR950, Sony SR45, Sony SR65, Sony HC96, Panasonic GS320, Panasonic H60

Collapse -
Thanks
by Powerpunk 5000 / September 10, 2008 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: A few ideas...

So it sounds like this would be a good choice for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Oh, another thing...
by Powerpunk 5000 / September 10, 2008 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Also, I read that my choice only records in MPEG2 format. Is that true? I don't mind that IF I can covert the videos without damaging the quality too much and can use a simple video editor like Windows Movie Maker.

Are there any other good camcorders that record to an HDD that use a more universal format (and maybe include a viewfinder)?

Collapse -
And...
by Powerpunk 5000 / September 10, 2008 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, another thing...

What about the Sony DCR-SR100? It seems to be the same with the same specs but with a viewfinder. Same deal?

Sorry for a triple post, seems this forum doesn't allow edits to you posts?

Collapse -
I use that same one...
by whizkid454 / September 10, 2008 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: And...

It has worked great for me. I've had it since launch in 2006. Yes, it has a viewfinder and a rotating LCD.

And to your other posts, yes, all HDD camcorders use MPEG2 for file format. If you have Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, you would be able to work with the video with no problem in Movie Maker. If you have XP, you'll need either a MPEG converter or a program that can use MPEG2 files. If your looking for some software ideas, Sony Vegas and Pinnacle Studio and Corel VideoStudio are some ideas.

Collapse -
Your last post...
by Powerpunk 5000 / September 10, 2008 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I use that same one...

Are you referring to the SR45 or the SR100?

Collapse -
SR100
by whizkid454 / September 10, 2008 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Your last post...

nt

Collapse -
Digital Camera?
by Powerpunk 5000 / September 10, 2008 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: SR100

Okay, so the SR100 seems to be my best choice. On the other hand, I was looking to see if there was a DIGITAL CAMERA (you know, pocket size) that would fit my needs AND shoot decent videos. What I found was the Casio Exilim EX-V8 8MP Digital Camera, and if the specs listed there are true and the stills are of good digital quality and the videos really can be shot at 720x480, then I think this is the perfect camera for me. I'd appreciate some true insight to this camera if anyone is knowledgeable about it.

Collapse -
It might be better...
by whizkid454 / September 10, 2008 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Camera?

If you ask in the digital cameras forum. They may have some other suggestions for you. I'm not as up to snuff with the newer cameras.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?