Cameras forum

General discussion

Newbie needs digital camera help

I don't know a thing about camera's, and that's why I'm coming here-- to hopefully get some help! Happy

I want to buy a digital camera and have been looking around. My friend just got a Canon Powershot SD300, and I love it, because it takes nice pictures and is SO small. However, I noticed when I was using it, there is a pause between when I click the button to when the picture actually takes. I don't know what the technical term for this is, but what is that delay? Its frustrating to me, because I was trying to take pictures of my friend playing basketball, but everytime I clicked the button for the perfect picture of him making a shot... it took what seemed like 3 seconds to actually take! And when that 3 seconds passes...the great picture opportunity is over.

So I am hoping to get a little insight on what this delay is, which camera's I can get that WON'T have that long of a delay, etc. Any advice would be SO helpful! Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie needs digital camera help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie needs digital camera help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
uhh

In reply to: Newbie needs digital camera help

okay I figured out what shutter lag is...but I do still need help figuring out which camera's have the LEAST shutter-lag...any suggestions?

Collapse -
digital cameras and shutter lag

I did a lot of research before i purchased my most recent digital camera

two sites i found very helpful:
Digital Camera Resource Page http://www.dcresource.com/
and
Steve' Digicam
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

i woulnd up purchasing the Panasonice Lumix FZ-20
LOVE IT
Great optical zoom
its a camera i will grow into
and so far my PIX are EXCELLENT!
good luck with your search

Collapse -
Shutter Lag

How to deal with shutter lag:

1. Frame your shot, press the shutter button halfway down (this lets the autofocus lock - the longest part of the lag).

2. Reframe your shot, press the shutter button the rest of the way down. (Your actual lag then will be only 0.1 second or less).

The camera manufacturers do not normally publish shutter lag information.

You have to glean it from the reviews.

Here is one good source of shutter lag information:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Look up the camera you are interested in.
Go to the "Conclusion" page and start reading.
You will normally find shutter lag info on that page.

The SD300 acutally has a pretty short shutter lag.
(0.3 second - when not using flash). That is better than average)

Four of the Casio cameras have the shortest shutter lags (0.1 second):

Casio Z750, X57, Z50, Z55

If you want better shutter lag results.....you need to look at the DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras.
These are expensive.....starting around $1,000.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!