Computer Help forum

Question

Newbie Needing Help Re. Specs Before Buying Laptop

by Auntielle / May 18, 2013 7:25 AM PDT

I am looking at an HP Laptop that is a "Today's Special" on HSN(Home Shopping Network). First of all, I'm an "oldster" and not very learned about computers. Right now, I have a 3-year-old Gateway(bought from HSN) that is starting to have problems. As expensive as repairs can be, I thought it would be better to just get a new laptop. This HP is - I believe - a special model, created just for HSN, because I've googled the Model # and cannot find ANY info on it. It has a 17.3 inch screen and a 1 Terabyte hard drive, but it only has 6 "gigs" of RAM (I'm not sure I'm using the right terms; sorry!). Something just doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't a laptop with a 17.3inch screen and a 1 Terabyte hard drive have more than 6 Gigs of RAM? I've seen other 1 Terabyte models in sales ads with more RAM - at least 8 gigs! I do NOT play internet games or watch movies, etc., except for YouTube videos. Mainly I use it for e-mail, Facebook, and Digital Scrapbooking, which is why I want the Terabyte; I have tons of pics and Digital Scrapbooking Kits. Any thoughts as to whether 6 gigs of RAM is enough for a 17.3inch laptop with 1Terabyte? I'd appreciate ANY help - TIA!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie Needing Help Re. Specs Before Buying Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie Needing Help Re. Specs Before Buying Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ram
by Bob__B / May 18, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

I'm a non-gamer.
This machine has 4GB of ram.
I can't come close to using that no matter how much stuff I run at the same time.
I suppose there is some app/s that want a big chunk but not anything I use.
I'll guess that 6GB will be fine.

Btw......I get the senior discount.

Collapse -
Answer
It depends
by Jimmy Greystone / May 18, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

It depends on what had to give so that the price point the HSN wanted could be met. However, for what you describe yourself as, 6GB is going to be overkill, so don't worry about that. My primary concern would be with the hassle associated with getting the unit repaired or returning it if you get a bad one. It's why computers are one of a couple of items I prefer to buy local if I'm going with pre-built one. If there's something wrong with it, I just box it up and drive a couple miles and come back with a new one. Also, if this is some HSN custom model, that means few HP repair shops will likely have parts for it in stock, so they'll either have to order them or ship the unit off to someone else.

To me, those are a couple of big red strobing warning signs. It would have to be a heck of a better deal than anything I could find locally to buy it.

Collapse -
Agree with Jimmy
by itsdigger / May 18, 2013 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: It depends

Years ago my wife ordered a computer from HSN and we hooked it up and it just froze at the windows splash screen. After day's on the phone with them, they decided it was a bad motherboard and wanted me to take the computer apart and send them the motherboard and they would send me a replacement. I thought "BOO ON THAT" cause sure as I'm a foot tall if I took it apart my warranty would be blown. I packed it up and sent the whole nine yards back to them and got my money refunded. It took about a month to get my cash back in the bank. Just my experience...Digger

Collapse -
Answer
I hope you didn't buy it because
by glb613 / May 18, 2013 9:18 PM PDT

you can get a better computer for less money elsewhere. Check your Sunday ads.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.