Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Newbie in need of help please.

Hi,

A friend of mine runs WinXP, i run Win98se so i can't help him much, i'm hopeing you can.

He tells me that he brought his pc into repair shop, he said he wanted it put back to factory settings and clean everything off, not sure what that means or what repair shop did.

Here is the problem, he had some Yahoo Games that he downloaded prior to the cleaning, he now finds that they will not open, all he is getting is a small blank screen that his game used to appear and Kernel something is popping up!he cant remember what Kernel it was.

I hope i have explained clearly so that you can understand what im trying to tell you.

I thought maybe if he uninstalled the games and reinstalled them but he does not know where to look for them, you could call him a newbie also:)

Can you help with this problem please?

Thank you,

Bron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie in need of help please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie in need of help please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: Newbie in need of help please.

Just go to yahoo and find them.

Could you post what games he is exactly looking for?

Collapse -
Hi Angryfirelord

In reply to: hmm

Thank you for your reply,

I'm not sure what games he has, i do know that one of them is Pool.

He can get to the games but when he clicks on them he gets a blank screen.

I'm sorry i cant give you more info, i wont see him until tomorrow.

Bron

Collapse -
Java?

In reply to: Hi Angryfirelord

I think some of those games use a program called Java to run. He must download the newest version and install it http://www.java.com/en/

I have played some other small online games, just to keep me busy, and some of them require a program called shockwave player. he might also want to install it http://www.macromedia.com/software/shockwaveplayer/

Both are free. Hope it works.

Collapse -
Thank you Splicer and tobeach.

In reply to: Java?

Many thanks for your help, ill pass on the info to my friend.

Bron

Collapse -
Tell Your Friend to Beware of Yahoo Games ! Please read.....

the following post from C-Net posted just before last X-mas. Yahoo's idea of a "present"!! One reason I won't allow anything Yahoo! on my machine or even visit their site . Copy & pasted here:

*WARNING! 'Team Yahoo' distributing virus*

This is of particular note to Yahoo members, though I suspect the same
thing is being tried on other ISPs that don't have as good (or any!)
AV-scanning, so /verbum sap sat!/

>>From: support@games.yahoo.com Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book
To: semods4@yahoo.com
Date: 14 Nov 04 15:32:48
Subject: **SPAM** Yahoo! Games Subscription
Yahoo! Team is proud to present our new surprise
for the clients of Yahoo! and Yahoo! Mail.

We plan to send you the best Yahoo! Games weekly.
This new service is free and it's a gift for the 10th
anniversary of Yahoo!. We hope you would like it.

The whole Yahoo! Team wants to express our gratitude to
you, the people who helped us to improve Yahoo! so much,
that it became the most popular worldwide portal.

Thank You!

We do our best to serve you.

------------------
Yahoo! Team.
www.Yahoo.com

Plain Text Attachment [ Download File | Save to my Yahoo! Briefcase ]

This part of mail contained a virus:

MIME type: application/x-msdownload
File name: Yahoo!Tennis.scr
File size: 93.06 kB
Virus name: W32/Oror.gen@MM
Antivirus: McAfee Scanning Engine (4406/4.2.40)

The attachment was removed by Kerio MailServer 5.7.3 at
mail.networx-bg.com. <<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Posted by: Dave Konkel [Moderator]
<5213-6132-0.html?id=1113&forumID=32&threadID=45827> Moderator Posted
on: 11/14/2004 8:01 PM

Further "GeoCities" plants a permanent cookie on your puter before allowing access to read and requires cookie each return. If you know & search very hard you'll find mention of a way to "strip" the cookie so its shell only remains allowing access. I wouldn't take their word for that ! Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Thank you firelord, Splicer, tobeach, Java problem solved.

Hi to you all and thank you for your help.

I installed Java for my friend this morning and he has his games back, this time he did not use Yahoo to get his games, he is very grateful and me also:)

I have another question regarding my friend, he is getting a small box on his screen, it says WT Kernell componant not found ( he is almost sure it said not found )it happens sometimes when he has loged on and sometimes when he is searching.

As you know i run Win98se and i'm not used to XP but i though maybe if he went into System information to see if a file was corrupt or something?

I'm not really sure what i'm talking about so i'll wait until i get a reply from you on this.

Many many thanks again.

Bron

Collapse -
When you speak to him next,

In reply to: Thank you firelord, Splicer, tobeach, Java problem solved.

ask him to note down exactly what happens and when, (ie what the computer is doing at the time), and what the exact error message is, then re-post, either here or perhaps it would be better in a new thread.

Mark

Collapse -
Hi Mark

In reply to: When you speak to him next,

Hi Mark,

Will do as you asked, i won't see him until tonight sometime but will get back to you with a new thread.

Many thanks,

Bron

Collapse -
Hi Mark.

In reply to: When you speak to him next,

Mark,

I have not heard back from my friend regarding the Kernal problem, maybe he has sorted it out but i would have appreciated a reply from him.

I just thought id let you know because i do appreciate
your help.

Many thanks,

Bron

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.