HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Newbie HTIB and installation Questions

by ddrk1 / October 6, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

Hello everyone. New to this forum and fairly new to installing and trying to set everything up.

Just bought a SONY BDV-T57 5.1 Home Theatre In a BOX and I'm wanting to hook this up to Direct TV HD Box and a Vizio Gallevia GV42L HDTV. Does anyone here have any experience with the Sony BDV-T57? So the HTIB only has an HDMI out and no HDMI in. My Vizio has two HDMI ports, but don't specify in or out. Can I just run my SONY HTIB HDMI out to my Vizio HDMI and also run my Direct TV to my Vizio HDMI with out any issues? Am I going to need to run any other wires to or from?? I would like to be able to use my surround sound system as the permanent sound system for my Direct TV as well as the BR. Not having to use the cheap tv sound. Would I have to buy an HDMI switcher if I decide to hook up a playstation or xbox? Would this interfere with anything??

I would like to thank you all in advance for any help or advice you can offer. All comments are appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie HTIB and installation Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie HTIB and installation Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't use an HDMI switcher
by Pepe7 / October 6, 2010 4:26 AM PDT

FWIW, I'd rather exchange for an HTIB that can better accomodate additional HDMI inputs instead of fussing with an HDMI switcher. Too much potential hassle IME and O. Look at some of the Onkyo HTIB models for a few more features of this nature that aren't as restrictive as this is w/ your Sony.

That said, you are almost there. In addition to the good HDMI cable workaround you have illustrated above, all you would need to do is add either a digital coaxial or digital optical cable from the DirecTV HD box to your Sony. This will let you enjoy surround sound from your DirecTV source material. See p.12 of the online user manual here-

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDVT57.pdf

have fun,
Pedro

Collapse -
Thanks for the quick response
by ddrk1 / October 6, 2010 4:40 AM PDT

Thanks for pointing me to the user manual. I should have gone through it but didn't want to bother opening the box if I wasn't going to keep the unit. I'm still kind of undecided.

I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S3300 unit but unfortunately it won't fit in my a/v cabinet. Wondering if I should buy a new cabinet now. :-/

Collapse -
Yeah...
by Pepe7 / October 6, 2010 7:19 AM PDT

...having to switch everything including the kitchen sink is never fun ;(.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.