TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Newbie Here

by shortie_dog / May 2, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

I see here CNet are recommending to go Plasma Tv but my problem is that we will be setting the system up in a very bright living room, so I was thinking I should go LCD, thinking about the Sharp 52" and a Sony DAX1V, the room size is 14' wide and 19' long with a attaching dining room, open air concept, will this system work in this enviroment.

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie Here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie Here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharps not that good
by givemeaname / May 2, 2007 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Newbie Here

What is a 'Sony DAX1V' nothing on google

Cnet still loves RP tv's over LCD & Plasms

OK Sharp has a thing called 'Banding' where colors are not smooth across the screen.

Are you going to mount the TV & does it have to be. What is important to you in the tv, picture, style, wall mountable ect?

Samsung & JVC + someothers are coming out with wall mountable RP tv's

Do you have a TV in the room now & if so what type?

For the room size, how far is the seating going to be?

Collapse -
Your Questions
by shortie_dog / May 2, 2007 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Sharps not that good

Sorry about that typo s/b DAVX1V, do not want something that is big and bulky, that is why I'm thinking LCD, no to wall mountable, picture is important for sports(go sens go)and movies, 10' to 14' away, new home to be built

Collapse -
Ok then
by givemeaname / May 3, 2007 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Your Questions

Take a look at 60-70" RP tv's. They will have a much better image then any LCD & they have the same 'anti glare' on there screens as lcd tv's.
Also for sports, RP tv's you will have less to no artifacting.

Collapse -
Seems a plasma would be fine unless you have operation room
by NM_Bill / May 2, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

brilliance. I confirm less than stellar feeling here about Sharp. Look at Samsung LCDs for sure.

Collapse -
(NT) It will be beside a wall of windows
Collapse -
CONSIDER SONY'S SXRD RP MODELS..........
by Riverledge / May 3, 2007 1:06 PM PDT
http://www.sonystyle.com

SONY KDS-xxA2020 available in 50",55",and 60" sizes.

SHARPS AREN'T THE SHARPEST.

SAMSUNG'S new LCD LN-T5265F is beautiful, but unfortunately it sports
a glossy front panel, not unlike a plasma screen.

Good shopping,
River.
Collapse -
(NT) Lokks big and bulky
by shortie_dog / May 3, 2007 9:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Never type without a coffeee first, looks big and bulky
by shortie_dog / May 3, 2007 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Lokks big and bulky
Collapse -
there not
by givemeaname / May 4, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

17" deep for the 50", 19" for the 55" & 20 1/4 for the 60". They wieght only 75, 83 & 94 pounds. Also JVC & samsung are now making super thin RP tv's, starting at 10" deep.

The XBR RP are BIG with those dumbo ears on the sides.

Collapse -
THE SONY SXRD A-2020 MODELS, ARE NO SLIM-JIMS BUT........
by Riverledge / May 5, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

THEY ARE QUITE REASONIBLE FOR RP MODELS FROM 50" to 60" SETS!!!

Do you know much a 58" to 60" Plasma weighs??? (PANNY 58", 174.2lbs)

NO they aren't LCDs or PLASMAs, but are so much cheaper per square inch than the the flat screens; and the picture is most impressive.

River.

Collapse -
Many possible issues are non-issues at least to me.
by NM_Bill / May 5, 2007 3:40 PM PDT

Potential wall mount type thinness is a nice concept, but after all those years of CRTs, DLPs depth is not a concern to me.

Collapse -
I UNDERSTAND YOUR REASONING; JUST TEN YEARS AGO A THIN.....
by Riverledge / May 6, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

TRINITRON WAS ABOUT 23" DEEP.

Best to all,
River.

Collapse -
DLPs depth is not a concern to me
by shortie_dog / May 6, 2007 9:35 PM PDT

How reliable are DLPs ???

Collapse -
Not as reliable as LCDs or plasma. You really should
by NM_Bill / May 6, 2007 11:38 PM PDT

search this site for the reerence to the Consumers Report repair rates stats. Or otherwise look it up at the public library. It's all a matter of relative risks.

Collapse -
RELIABLE ENOUGH TO MAKE ME BUY ANYTHING BUT A DLP!!!........
by Riverledge / May 7, 2007 5:37 AM PDT

TOO MANY MOVING PARTS. I'd go with the LCoS technology, as in SONY'S
SXRD LINE. The new KDS-A2020 series is available in 50",55", and 60" sizes. Prices range from about $1,900 to $2,500 depending on size. The price per square inch is quite low.

Remember, that all RPs will require a new lamp at some point.

Best wishes,
River.

Collapse -
Like Sony

Riverledge we have a 32" Sony Wega now which we will be giving to the inlaws, love the tv, but when I first started looking into a bigger screen tv (building my retirement home)all I read was you cannot watch plasma tv in a bright room, so I was looking at lcd, now that Panasonic has a new model out I'm interested in that, if the review is correct that I read, hopefully more will come soon

Collapse -
YES, PANASONIC HAS INTRODUCED SOME NEW PLASMAS.............
by Riverledge / May 8, 2007 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Like Sony

WITH A NON-GLARE finished panel. Two series are now available, TH-xxPX77Us and the TH-xxPZ700Us. The entry-level models, TH-xxPX75Us, do NOT have this coating, so be careful shopping.

Best wishes,
River.

Collapse -
700 or 750

I will have to see what we can get here in Canada, the only thing now to look for would be a sound system with wireless rear speakers or no rear speakers at all, plus an upconverting dvd player

Collapse -
WELL, I JUST LOOKED AT THE PANASONIC-CANADA SITE...........
by Riverledge / May 8, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: 700 or 750

ONLY NEW MODELS shown were the PX75Us which you do not want. The PX77Us and PZ700Us should be introduced by the end of June. The TH-xxPZ750Us not expected til autumn.

Personally, I would forego any rear surrounds before I'd do wireless. Most anything wireless in your price range would a disappointment.

Best wishes,
River.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!