Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Newbie DVD Burning Help!!!!

by mydoom.exe / February 24, 2006 3:08 PM PST

Hi all! I am fairly new to the world of WINDOWS XP but it is a small step away from the Mac Os Tiger in Simlplicity. I bought a barely HP DV1315cl (google the name for full specs) which by the way I am VERY happy with to replace my "vintage" Ibook 800mhz. You know how you can drag and drop data files in Windows Explorer for Writable and Re-Writable CD's? I was wondering if you can do the same thing with DVD's. Also when I pop-in a DVD +/- either or they are reconized as a CD with 0 bytes. Is there like a plugin or something included with software E.g. Nero to enable this? Please Help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newbie DVD Burning Help!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newbie DVD Burning Help!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP doesn't do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 3:15 PM PST

While CDBURNERXP is free and works with DVD media, you can also brush up on what the native XP offers at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

I'm unsure what the other content in your post is about. Why not use what you like?

Bob

Collapse -
Burning XP
by mgi192 / February 24, 2006 10:15 PM PST

XP has Roxio built in. Basically just right click on what you want to burn and select Send To, and send it to the burner, does not matter if it is CDR or DVD, it burns it all as long as you have the proper recorder.

Geeks!

Collapse -
Geeks? DVD recording in the native XP CD recording?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Burning XP

That's the first I've heard that it can do that.

When was this feature added?

Or was that a typo?

Bob

Collapse -
When this feature was added.
by mydoom.exe / February 25, 2006 1:44 AM PST

I noticed this feature on my old Dell Insperion 11-- Something I just dragged and dropped Video Clips on to the DVD like a CD in native Windows Explorer.

Collapse -
once and for all
by linkit / February 25, 2006 4:16 AM PST

Either you had some add-in software (added by Dell and not part of Windows XP) working in the background...or you had a time machine and somehow got a copy of Windows Vista years in advance.

It happens to all of us--sometimes we complete some task on our computers and are not sure what program/utility we used.

''Windows XP doesn't contain built-in support for burning DVDs. However, Microsoft plans on including built-in support for DVD write capability in the next version of Windows.''
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/jones_02november25.mspx

''Windows XP can read and play back DVDs, but it can't record them.''
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx

''There is no support at all in the inbuilt burning for burning DVD media.''
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

BTW, check out R. Proffitt's bio and number of postings. He's the McDonald's of CNET--over 50,000 served. Thanks, Bob!

Collapse -
Thanks Linkit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: once and for all

I welcome new input such as a feature that Microsoft added and I missed.

Bob

PS. I hope my quality is better than McD's.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.