Computer Help forum

General discussion

*Newbie* Can't turn on PC...

My dad picked up this pc from a guy trying to get rid of it. It's an older machince, I don't know where to get the specs for it because it will not turn on. For awhile it was running fine, then I had some problems with McAfee messing it up, after uninstalling McAfee and reinstaling it, the pc evenutally would not even turn on.
It started out that the PC would get to the sign in, then shut down, now its to the point of when you push the 'on' button it turns on then off as soons as you push the button.
Again I don't know much about the computer other than its says "AMD" on the inside as well as "Pentium 4".
If anyone has any clue what the probelm might be, or how I might go about getting more info for you that would be great.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: *Newbie* Can't turn on PC...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: *Newbie* Can't turn on PC...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: *Newbie* Can't turn on PC...

In reply to: *Newbie* Can't turn on PC...

"now its to the point of when you push the 'on' button it turns on then off as soons as you push the button."

Have you checked that the CPU HEATSINK is still on the CPU?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: *Newbie* Can't turn on PC...

In reply to: Re: *Newbie* Can't turn on PC...

"Have you checked that the CPU HEATSINK is still on the CPU?"

CPU HEATSINK?
What is that?
I'm doing my best to learn as much as I can about computers, but I'm always learning new things.

Collapse -
Google.

In reply to: Re: *Newbie* Can't turn on PC...

You need to learn about http://www.google.com

Let's try...

What is a cpu heatsink? at said site. Yes, that covers it. As such, I feel no need to duplicate such stellar content here.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Google.

In reply to: Google.

I'll have to look into that.
But the fans start to run then stop.
Maybe the fans are causing the problem?
Could that be it? Do I need to replace cooling system?
One of my friends thought it might be RAM related, is that a possiblity?

Collapse -
CPU protection.

In reply to: Re: Google.

It's becoming clear that you don't want to do the research. Let me offer this. Many systems now do exactly as you write to save the CPU from damage when the heatsink has come off.

Why not look?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: CPU protection.

In reply to: CPU protection.

Its not that I don't want to do the reseach, I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: CPU protection.

I supplied the words to type into Google and read the articles. I found pictures that show what such are and how to install such.

If you don't read such articles then your next stop is the repair shop.

What more can I offer?

Bob

Collapse -

Ok thanks for the help.
I already have one installed, so I'll just look to see if I need a new one.
I did open it up and found that it was loaded with dust, so I cleaned it out.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -

Did this correct the issue?

Systems that start then shut down are generally related to heat and the first thing to check for. From their the possibilites to correct are endless.

If you would like to get a feel for whats involved for a system to boot see:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/bootSequence-c.html

Luck,
Bill

Collapse -

No so far it has not fixed the problem. But I'm doing some research on the Cooling System.

I am reading the link you gave. Pretty interesting stuff I didn't know. Thanks.

Collapse -
Tell more.

A detailed list of hardware could reveal what's possible. CPU type, power supply rating and more.

Bob

Collapse -
This is interesting...

In reply to: Tell more.

I got a little fed up with the computer, so I took a break for a while. Well when I came back (about 3 hours later) I hit the on button and BAM! It worked!
So now the tower is running, but I have nothing on the monitor. The monitor just sits there like it's on standby or something, with the little yellow light just flashing and not turning green.
Could this be related to the motherboard?

"A detailed list of hardware could reveal what's possible. CPU type, power supply rating and more."

I'm getting a list from my dad, once I get it I will post it asap!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.