General discussion

newbie alert! How easy is it to fit a case fan?

I want to fit an 80mm fan to the back of my computer case, though I'm not 100% sure where/how the power adapter fits?

A lot of the ones I've seen come with a 4-pin power connector and a separate signal connector to the motherboard, but the problem is I don't know if I have the right 'sockets' on my motherboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I can take pics of my motherboard if that helps Happy

Cheers ppl

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: newbie alert! How easy is it to fit a case fan?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: newbie alert! How easy is it to fit a case fan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You use one connector or the other.

Not both. The small one plugs into the mobo. You must look in the manual ot at the mobo to see if there is an available place to plug it in. That type provides control of the rpm of the fan depending on need for cooling. You can look for them on your mobo, they are 3 male pins sticking up from a plastic base, that accepts the female pins from the small connetor. The mobo should have the word "x" fan by it, where X can be anything, such as "system"

Why not simply get the one with the four pin molex and connect it to one available from the power supply, and let the fan always run at full speed?? None available, get a Y cable to get another socket to use.

80MM is usually the standard size for case fan mounting places.

- Collapse -
thank you :)

thanx a lot for the quick reply. I just checked and I do have a socket on the mobo for a fan Happy

The other option wont work on my set up since this fan I'm looking at only has female pins, and my power supply pins are female too.

Using the mobo pins is ok tho right?

- Collapse -
Using the connection on the mobo should

be fine.

The fan with the large molex with only female pins is unusual. Good electrical design mandates that the side of the connection that has the source voltage should be female to prevent it getting contacted when not connected. That, of course, is the one coming from the power supply.

With the mobo cnnector there is a hot lead on each side of the connection so one or the other will have an exposed hot pin.

CNET Forums

Forum Info