Question

New ZoneAlarm alert - Benign?

Recently started getting regular popups from ZoneAlarm..."Hosted agent service is trying to access the trusted zone".
Couldn't find anything on it. Thought it might have started after a Windows Update but not sure. Anyone heard of this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: New ZoneAlarm alert - Benign?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New ZoneAlarm alert - Benign?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Interesting

I'm using Zonealarm as well, the ZA Internet Security Suite, v 9.3.037.000 but I haven't seen this yet. My own Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate is up to date with Windows Updates and I haven't had any new updates in the last week.

Which Windows are you using?

When you see that pop up you have the option of finding out more. Either worded "Smart Defense Advisor - More info", or "Alert Advisor - More info", depending which version of ZA you have. If you click that, you will be taken to Zonealarm's web site and they will attempt to find more about this particular event. It doesn't always find anything useful though.

Also, at the top of the pop up window are details of the event, and this might be useful if you could share that.

It's a strange one though because like you, I couldn't find anything for ""Hosted agent service is trying to access the trusted zone", and neither just for "Hosted agent service".

In Zonealarm's Control Center, (right click the icon in the Notification area where the clock is, and select to show the Control Center), goto Program Control then Programs, and scroll down to see if you have any entry for Hosted Agent.

ZA is doing it's job and preventing something on your system from entering the Trusted Zone without your knowledge, so you are protected. You could, if you wish, click the option to "Remember this setting" when you click Deny. You can always reverse that later.

I had a quick look through the ZA forums here; http://forums.zonealarm.com/index.php but didn't find anything relevant. It was just a cursory look though.

Mark

- Collapse -
Think I figured it out

I went to the Program Control Center and scrolled down to the Hosted Agent Service, clicked it. The info it showed under Entry Detail was my Tredn Micro Security Suite. I had a feeling that might be it. Trend must hafe updated something in the background that ZA didn't recognize.

Thanks for the help! Clicking the More Info on the ZA alert was useless, but I forgot to check the Programs list for the name on the alert.

- Collapse -
Good find

and glad you have got it sorted. It seems this service does need Trusted Access after all, but perhaps there is something on the Trend Micro web site that would confirm that.

Mark

- Collapse -
Trend Micro and ZA

I called Tech Support at Trend and they said ZA may have conflicts with Trend's firewalll that's part of the security suite that came installed on my computer. Everything seems fine now that I can trust the Host Agent Service to access my trusted zone (maybe a virus defination updater), the tech suggested uninstalling ZA and rely on Trend's firewall to avoid any problems. I figure the fewer things on my computer the better so I'll probably get rid of ZA. Less resource drain too Wink.

- Collapse -
Ahh, two firewalls

I didn't realise you had the full Trend Micro suite, and I agree with them about uninstalling Zonealarm.

There is an unsung rule we follow, only one firewall, and only one anti-virus. To have two or more can cause conflicts as they attempt to scan the same files at the same time.

You may want to see the Uninstall advice in ZA's own forums in the link below for effectively uninstalling Zonealarm;
http://forum.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?p=274087

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Trend firewall

Actually, I didn't realize Trend came with a firewall until I started snooping around (have only had the computer a couple months). I like ZA's proactive alerts (eventhough it caused the reason for my post), but don't need any problems. Thanks for the help Mark!

CNET Forums