Sony forum

Resolved Question

New Youtube software does not support Sony BDP N460

by GeoffSri / April 21, 2015 11:40 AM PDT

I have a Sony BDP N460 Blue Ray player HDMI connected to my TV. I have watched Youtube videos on this. Starting April 20th, when going to You Tube it says the device is not supported. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem

GeoffSri has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Youtube software does not support Sony BDP N460
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Youtube software does not support Sony BDP N460
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by GeoffSri

Collapse -
CNET reviewed it in 2009
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2015 3:53 AM PDT
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-bdp-n460/

That's 6 years and while it doesn't make it right, there is no recurring revenue to pay programmers to fix it.

Think of your car. After the warranty there are some extended support laws for parts and such but you pay for the repairs OOW (out of warranty.) This area of devices and apps is going to eventually get more attention.

-> My view? Closed source devices are fine if we view them for what they are. If it's closed source then no one will be able to correct flaws like this.
Bob
Collapse -
Thank You
by GeoffSri / April 23, 2015 5:18 AM PDT

Can you recommend a BLUE RAY player, Sony or other that will still support the " NEW" Youtube application.

Collapse -
Should be OK on current models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2015 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

While new players do support YouTube, I can't guess your country and can't write I'd buy such a thing over a Roku or other box.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Short Answer is no
by DD1948 / April 21, 2015 8:30 PM PDT

All TV's manufactured up to 2012 are affected, not just Sony. Google (who owns YouTube) decided to come out with a new version of YouTube through which it can support ads easier & thereby increase revenues. They have no regard for thousands of "Smart" TV owners who are tied by their hardware to the older version of YouTube. Google knew this prior to implementing the change and had in fact sent out a notice a year in advance that the old version would no longer be supported as of April 20, 2015. Your only recourse is to buy a device such as Roku, WDTV Player, Apple TV or something similar to any of these if you want to continue getting YouTube on your TV. Google's cavalier approach to this issue shows just how arrogant they have become as a business. They had to have known that people do not replace TV's for 7 or 8 years and yet the models that this decision affects are as new as 2012. Who is going to replace a 2 year old TV just to be able to play YouTube? Future TV buyers should take notice of this apathy by Google and when it is time to buy a new TV, just get a basic set. The "Smart" features incorporated at additional cost can be cut off with little or no warning by a 3rd party, and with no recourse available to the consumer.

Collapse -
latest software installed
by GeoffSri / April 23, 2015 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Short Answer is no

My Blue Ray player has the latest firmware installed.

I "chatted" with Sony and have included that chat below. I am sure that there must be a FTC law that says that manufactures have to continue their support of a device for a certain period of time. My problem is I don't know who to blame- Sony, You tube or Google.

For those of you who have a similar problem. This is what I did. I bought a Chromecast dongle connected it to my TV and cast the Youtube Video from my Laptop to my TV. Any other workarounds that anybody knows of, please let us know

Collapse -
Chat
by GeoffSri / April 23, 2015 1:19 AM PDT

Original Chat Text could not be inserted (Your submission includes invalid characters) but they said that after 4/20/15 certain TV/ Blue Rays will not be supported by Google/Youtube and that he does know when, if ever, there will be an update to correct this problem.

Collapse -
Local Laws
by Highland_Logan / April 23, 2015 3:30 AM PDT

You would have to check with your local laws. If your device still plats discs, then it works, and support normaly ends when warrenty does. To phrase this another way, what if Youtube shut down? Could you sue Sony as your app could no longer connect to a site that no longer exsits?

This was a move by Youtube/Google, not Sony.

Collapse -
New Facebook page to force Sony and Others to talk to Google
by CnetForumer / May 15, 2015 6:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Local Laws
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.