HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New XFX GeForce 8600 GT not producing picture on new monitor

by spacej82 / February 20, 2008 8:50 AM PST

I just finished building this new computer. It has 3 Ghz Pentium D, 2 GB of RAM, 320 GB HD and a 500 Watt power supply. I bought this new XFX Geforce 8600 GT PCI Express x16 with 256 MB RAM and a new Hanns-G LCD Monitor. My problem is that when I switch the machine on, I hear all the fans running, the DVD drive works fine, the hard drive is running and even the video card's fan is spinning. But the monitor is telling me that there isn't any signal and to check the video cable. I'm not sure if this helps but there is a 5 prong power plug right next to the slot where the card is in. I plugged in an extra power cable into it. Still with no effect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I followed all the manuals to the letter. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New XFX GeForce 8600 GT not producing picture on new monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New XFX GeForce 8600 GT not producing picture on new monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to find out if it's actually booting up
by Steven Haninger / February 20, 2008 10:01 AM PST

If it has a floppy drive, put in a boot floppy and see if it's going through the motions of trying to boot. Ideally you need to try another monitor to rule out whether or not it even gets so far as to try to output from the BIOS.

Collapse -
Full details
by Willy / February 20, 2008 1:12 PM PST

You didn't offer if there is an on-board video port on the mtrbd.. if so, that has to be disabled in order to use the card's video port. Since, this is also a new build, recheck the work plus what I just mentioned. You may need a simpler video card and monitor in order to get the system up and running, then add the drivers, etc. for the full install process, then add the newer video card, etc.. to the system after proven it works. While you think all devices are working, there is no solid proof yet because of no video, you *assume* they're working, thus reduce system to basics if none of the above works. You mention a 5-prong plug and you plug it in, well do you know what that plug does, because for now it doesn't to me, be sure before you proceed. As i don't know of any 5-prong power plugs, maybe there is, things change so much. So what is your mtrbd.?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Motherboard
by spacej82 / February 21, 2008 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Full details

Its an Abit IL9 Pro. According to the manual, that 5 prong power connection is an auxillary power source for PCI Express cards. So you think I should remove that cord for now until I find out whats going on? A friend of mine is supposed to be giving me a card that has a VGA connection. So I'm thinking that maybe the card possibly has a faulty DVI connection.. I dunno yet. I'll find out soon. Thanks for help

Collapse -
Simpler system
by Willy / February 21, 2008 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Motherboard

I'll look-up the mtrbd. info and see what gives. But yeah, if you can use a simpler video card to a VGA monitor. In other words, get it to boot-up with display and resolve all problems then proceed forward, one problem at a time. As for the "adapter" well that can be iffy as well, one reason to eliminate sources of conflict, too much is going on and if I'm correct as a new build it never got up and running, this all needs to be sorted out.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Abit IL9
by Willy / February 22, 2008 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Simpler system

Excluding any setup glitches and everything is trying to work, you may have a power issue(psu). The 8600 chipset isn't as demanding as the 8800 one but it does require a stable psu output. If your 500W is mediocre then get a higher wattage output to produce the stable voltages needed. Of course, plug that 5-prong plug in, it didn't ring a bell at the time. After looking on the web, finding details on the Abit IL9 was dated, in some cases users were very annoyed with it with their reviews. So if nothing works after you try the past suggestions, then you either got a bad psu r weak one or another device is dragging down the system. If I didn't ask, does it "beep" when it tries to boot? Other than this advice, I pretty much have nothing else to go on, good luck.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Video Card
by longhorn00767 / February 23, 2008 12:17 PM PST

It looks to me that the BIOS can not see it because you may not have done the basic setup of the mother board yet. You may need to remove the card and use the on board video connector first. Then install the MB drivers, BIOS drivers and the OS. After thats done then try installing the new V card, the BIOS will then automaticly disable the on board video and it should work fine after that.
I had to do this on the sys I just built.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.