Desktops forum

General discussion

NEW WORKSTATION --Questions

Hi, in need of a new workstation (barely any gaming), and I get a good discount from both (and only) Falcon-NW and Voodoo, and I've got a few questions.

1) Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme X6800 2.93GHz VS. 2x AMD Opteron Processor Dual Core Model 875

I need the best for CAD, Maya, 3ds max, photoshop, etc. My guess is the Opteron, but I'm not sure.

2) 2x nVidia GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB VS. 2x NVIDIA Quad FX 5500 XP2

Again, "I need the best for CAD, Maya, 3ds max, photoshop, etc." Does the Quadro offer directx 10 capabilites? I'm not sure the exact BIOS differences between the two cards. Would the 8800 offer a lot less (m)CAD performance, or only a little bit less? *note* xeon (aka core 2 quad) chip doesn't offer SLI with the Quadro, would this lesson my performance?

The chip and card are the only disputes between the two, thanks for all the help, hope some 3D professionals can help me out here!
-ArchsageVal

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEW WORKSTATION --Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEW WORKSTATION --Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd question the maker's. Why?

In reply to: NEW WORKSTATION --Questions

If those makers didn't answer your questions then how will they do when you have a real problem. You may have shown good reason not to do business with them.

Bob

Collapse -
re: workstation

In reply to: NEW WORKSTATION --Questions

qx6800 is faster than two opterons. rendering in maya and 3ds max, is cpu dependent, so the quad-core should be your choice.

the video card helps viewport performance in cad apps and quadros/firegls are better choices than geforces/radeons if budget is not an issue (and it seems that its not). sli will not really help you in cad and any videocard will do for photoshop.

dx10 support is only of importance for gaming so a geforce 8800 brings nothing to your professional apps' table.

Collapse -
sweet

In reply to: re: workstation

thanks, both of your posts helped, and yes, I did question the makers and got solid answers, similiar to ramarc's post.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.