Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

New wireless connection security

by sdalbers / January 20, 2006 1:17 AM PST

I have recently purchased a new Dell laptop w/ Windows XP and am trying to set up a wireless connection to my DSL internet connection using a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router.

I have gotten as far as connecting my DSL modem to the Linksys Router and my computer recognizes a signal but it is an "unsecured connection" according to the wireless connection list that my laptop picks up. Other wireless connections in range of my computer (My neighbors, I guess) are secured and require a password to access.

I would like for my wireless internet broadcast to be "secured" as well and require a password, but after running several network and wireless setup wizards I can't figure out how this is done.

Also, do I need to install the SBC Yahoo DSL software to do this? I'd rather not since this usually clutters the desktop w/ unwanted software and icons.

Thanks for any and all help with this matter.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New wireless connection security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New wireless connection security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
router's admin page
by linkit / January 20, 2006 2:49 AM PST

You need to go to the administration page for your Linksys router (http://192.168.1.1). The default password is in the router instructions. From there you need to enable WEP or WAP for encryption security. Also, you can enable ''MAC filtering.'' All ot this is in the quick setup instructions and manual for your Linksys router.

Collapse -
whoops!
by linkit / January 20, 2006 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: router's admin page

That should read "WEP or WPA...."

Collapse -
Don't have manual
by sdalbers / January 20, 2006 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: router's admin page

I inherited this router from a friend and it didn't come with any manuals. Is there a website that will have the manuals on line? I looked for a little while on the Linksys website and didn't find anything.

Collapse -
Go to Linksys site
by byker49 / January 20, 2006 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Don't have manual

Go to linksys site and download the USER GUIDE for your particular model and version number.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?