Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

New Windows XP 0 Packets sent and received

by wbarcus / January 27, 2014 10:50 AM PST

I have re-installed Windows XP and updated the Service Pack. I previously installed Windows 7 and good connection. I have updated the drivers but still only get 0 packets sent and received. I get no IP address because of connection problem. Can anyone help me on what can be causing this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Windows XP 0 Packets sent and received
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Windows XP 0 Packets sent and received
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At my office
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2014 10:59 AM PST

We did that 2 months ago. Not only did we install XP, SP3 and more but the drivers never updated correctly from Microsoft. Off to the maker PLUS we had to install some "helper app" to turn on the WiFi.

Your post as it stands should end with a non-working laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: connection
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 27, 2014 6:55 PM PST
In reply to: At my office

What does Device Manager say about the drivers?

If you can't find XP compatible drivers for the motherboard of your PC, you'll need a LAN card. Be sure its specifaication say it works with XP without any added driver, or that it comes with XP drivers. Techvedic says they aren't needed, but that's not necessarily true.

Kees

Collapse -
Device Manager Sees the NIC.
by wbarcus / January 27, 2014 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: connection

Device Manager detects the NIC, I have downloaded the drivers for the NIC and updated from both Microsoft and from the NIC firmware update.

Collapse -
Not a wireless connection,
by wbarcus / January 27, 2014 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: At my office

I am connected by CAT6 wired connection straight to the router. I have verified that all IP Settings is correct through the Microsoft troubleshooting steps.

Collapse -
Then same/similar problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 12:19 AM PST

A non-wireless adapter or NIC may not work until we install the motherboard chipset package. Again, you can find machines that nothing appears wrong in the Device Manager and the NIC drivers install fine and nothing works.

Your post sounds as if this is your first XP install. I'd be guessing but since XP is so old I rarely see folk attempt to install this old OS today. It's that hard.
Bob

Collapse -
New Windows XP 0 Packets sent and received
by Techvedic / January 27, 2014 6:42 PM PST

Hi,

You need to install driver properly. after installation, if not working internet again than use new lan card.

Insert a new lan card slot give in your system. No need driver for this extra lan card.

After that you are able to user internet.

Thanks
Techvedic

Collapse -
Let's recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 12:38 AM PST

As presented it looks like an incorrect XP install. Missing drivers or maybe this is why you reinstalled in the first place. If there was a hardware failure and you hoped a fresh XP install would fix it, it would not.

Since it's unsure what's up, why not try a current version of Linux. It has most drivers and you can get on the internet without knowing it's Linux. I wrote about that a decade ago at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Forgot one item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Let's recap.

If you want other members to check your XP install plan you'll have to supply make/model and each step of the XP install in excruciating detail. Otherwise no one can see if there is a missing step or driver. As it stands it can be an install problem or a hardware failure such as a bum cable or card.
Bob

Collapse -
How to fix
by James Denison / January 28, 2014 2:08 AM PST

Go into the windows folder and remove all the folders that start with $Nt and $MSI, the main one you need to get rid of starts off as $hf....

That's the file which is telling microsoft you already have updates which you no longer actually have. Once it's gone, you should be able to get the updates working again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?