PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New video card or

Well, right now I am stuck in dilemma, I am not sure what to get, basically, I want a pc that can play crysis on the high setting with good fps, but I am not sure what to get an nvida 8800gt video card or a amd X2 6400+ processor.

My PC hasn't been updated in quite a long time, I currently have a 3.2 Intel Pentium 4 with an Radeon X1950pro video.

Help is much appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New video card or
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New video card or
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
lol

In reply to: New video card or

ohh srry, I forgot to finish the title XD

Collapse -
Either one is OK

Both video cards could support as high as 2560 X 1600 MHZ, you could choose either. To your situation, you may search the compatible and good CPU for using. You need not pay attention to the video card.

Collapse -
moving to amd x2 6400 will require new mobo

which will require a reinstall of your os. if you're going to upgrade the mobo and replace the cpu, you should go core2duo.
if you just want a better cpu, post your motherboard info. you may be able to upgrade to a core2duo or at least a pentium d (both in the $125 range).

still, you can get an 8800gt for $150 or a 9600gt for $130 and they will play crysis well.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-radeon-hd4800-games_5.html#sect0

Collapse -
Still not sure

In reply to: moving to amd x2 6400 will require new mobo

Well, now I looked at the AMD phenom 9600, and it's a quad core for a pretty competitive price, I don't mind that it can't run vista 64 because I'm not planning on upgrading to it. But how well would you say a quad core with 4 gigs of ram but a radio x1950pro would handle up to graphically demanding games?

Collapse -
upgrade driver, check in dxdiag

In reply to: Still not sure

Did you try to upgrade to the latest driver? You may try click Start > Run, input 'dxdiag', check whether you have disabled the Direct or whether this device works normally.

Collapse -
why are an amd fan?

In reply to: Still not sure

you already have a socket 775 mobo so if you just want to upgrade the CPU, you should consider pentium or core2duo CPUs.

if you're willing to a get new motherboard, then why would you spend $170 on a phenom 9600 when a core2duo q6600 is just $40 more and 20% faster?

also, any new CPU (p4d, core2duo, amd x2, amd phenom) can run vista 64. and no CPU will make up for what the x1950pro lacks when playing crysis.

Collapse -
BINGO, CRYSIS or CRYSIS = BINGO?

In reply to: why are an amd fan?

I love that game. It is now a primary force in getting gamers to part with thousands of bucks to "get it to play well" or worse yet "play at high settings."

While we all love this stuff I can't believe how much a friend dumped into a laptop and still whined when it didn't play well. I had to use duct tape to muffle the itoldyouso.

Bob

Collapse -
Not amd fan, just looking at options

In reply to: why are an amd fan?

I am not an amd fan, I just don't understand what would be for the better benefit on the pc for games, I just don't now what would be better to purchase first, a good video card or a new cpu. Because either way it wouldn't work to its best potential, the 8800gt will be slowed by the Pentium 4, the new cpu will be constricted by the x1950pro, the thing that I am trying to figure out is which would offer a better quality of gaming, the new video card or cpu

Collapse -
A new CPU means all new everything so...

In reply to: Not amd fan, just looking at options

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.