PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New Video Card for Monitor

by Hayden115 / September 23, 2007 6:09 AM PDT

I ordered a new monitor for my 2.5yr old PC. The monitor is a wide-screen with resolution of 1680x1050. I looked at my video card and it does not have this as a res (likley since wide-screens were not being offered at the time). I downloaded an updated driver but it still does not support that resolution (I also made sure to show all resolutions, not just the ones supported by my current monitor).
So I guess I need a new video card and I am trying to figure which to buy.
I currently have the NVIDEA GeFORCE4 MX 440 with AGP 8x. I mainly use the pc for photo editing, not really for games (the only game played is SIMS2 occasionaly).
I've looked at some cards but they were close to $200 which is more than I would like to spend, would rather put it towards a new PC is I were going to spend that.
Any advice on which to purchase, which brand is good, and what I need to know when purchasing a graphics card????
Also, the new monitor is both digital and analog. My current monitor is only analog, and that is the only way it connects to the PC. If I buy a new video card, would it allows to use either analog or video, or is that dependent on another factor.
Basically I am cluseless with video cards as I've never had to upgrade or replace it.
Thanks for the help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Video Card for Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Video Card for Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you install the monitor's driver too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

The video card often takes a cue from the monitor as to resolutions. Did you install the monitor's driver yet?

Bob

Collapse -
Do not have monitor yet...
by Hayden115 / September 23, 2007 7:49 AM PDT

No, I haven't received the new monitor yet- should receive it this week. But I did go into the control panel/display/settings/advance and un-checked "hide modes this monitor can not display." Since I did not see the one I specified above, I am assuming this is an issue with the video-card and not with the monitor driver. I would hope you are right, but from what I've read, it sounds like I likely need a new card.

Collapse -
Again those can be ones that are locked out because...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

The monitor can't support it.

You may be replacing a card that could do the task but that's up to you to decide whether to try the monitor.inf or driver and hook it up for a test.

Your time and money...

Bob

Collapse -
I will wait...
by Hayden115 / September 23, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

I guess I will wait then until I receive the monitor. Is it possible to download the driver onto my PC without the new monitor, and seeing if I can change the resolution, or would my current monitor be disabled as a result?

Collapse -
Sometimes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I will wait...

Since I don't see you supplying links to said driver or the contents of the usual MONITOR.INF file I'll just comment I've seen a few replace the card without need.

Bob

Collapse -
Its the Dell 2007wfp
by Hayden115 / September 23, 2007 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Sometimes...

I tried to download the driver from Dell, but for some reason when I select the model, it brings me back to selecting which display- I am not sure if there is a problem with the site or some other reason. So unfortunately can not provide a link. I currently have the hp pavilion vf17.

Collapse -
You may want to wait.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Its the Dell 2007wfp
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.