PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New video card doesn't help with games?

by parkpointer / October 26, 2003 9:59 AM PST

I have a dell xps-r400 with 384mb ram computer running WIN98SE. The computer came with an 8mb video card which I recently exchanged for a 64mb ATI 7500 Radeon card. I especially like the TV feature, but the gaming features haven't improved at all. I was using MS flight sim 2002, which seems to slow to a crawl and even stop. I recently downloaded RAM Def XT in an effort to open up as much ram as possible before running the flight sim, but it still stalls out after 10-15 minutes of using the FS program. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening here? Any help would be appreciated.
System Info:
Dell xps-r400/384mb ram, WIN98SE os, always on DSL internet, 30GB HD at 70%.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New video card doesn't help with games?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New video card doesn't help with games?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:New video card doesn't help with games?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2003 10:34 AM PST

This old PC isn't going to overclock easily. It's a Dell so I won't go into any details about that issue. BUT I will write the article titled Optimizing Windows at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm plus expelling all parasites found with Adware, Spybot, Housecall, CWShredder and Stinger (all free items you find with www.google.com) will likely make this as good as it gets.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:New video card doesn't help with games?
by parkpointer / November 13, 2003 8:11 AM PST

Thanks Bob,
I have started to see a slight improvement in the gaming. I am getting nearly 15-20 minutes of sim time before the computer puts the brakes on and stops altogether, but that is an improvement.
I have downloaded three of the five you spoke about. I haven't been back on this thing until this evening. I will try a fourth cleanup using spybot. Each one seems to find something the others have missed. Thanks again!
parkpointer Happy

Collapse -
Even a radeon 7500 isn't that great
by fordry / December 14, 2004 8:57 AM PST

If you want it to work well, you need to get a new computer

Collapse -
New parts- old pc
by jcrobso / December 17, 2004 5:32 AM PST

There is a bible verse about puting new wine in old wine skins, that this is not a good idea. Somehow this can apply to PCs, putting in new and better parts does not change the fact that it is on older pc and you are limited by what the older pc can do. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.