Camcorders forum

General discussion

New Video camera in this low price range.

by dreamkast / May 19, 2010 9:51 AM PDT

So I needa start filming my dj gigs in clubs so this is what I need.

A vid camera that uses sd cards and/or hardrive.

Can shoot in high res (hd)

light and small

good image stabilization and easy to use (auto focus) as noobs will be using it and just needs to be ready to film without major adjustments.

Really good in low light/dim situations like a night club.

MUST HAVE AUDIO IN, so i can plug my mixer straight into it and record my sets without the crowds noise.

looking for a cheapish camera though so it doesnt need to be top of the line. Looking to spend no more than a camera like the JVC Everio GZ-MG750 or the Sony Handycam DCR-SX40

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Video camera in this low price range.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Video camera in this low price range.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by dreamkast / May 20, 2010 10:23 AM PDT

Collapse -
for $300?
by chickenorfish / May 20, 2010 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: anyone?

for $300? doesnt exist

Collapse -
by dreamkast / May 20, 2010 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: for $300?

Well the res isnt that important, I just need a camera that has audio in and can capture footage in a dark situation for youtube so doesnt have to be amazing quality. Just looking for a step up from my kodak zi8

Collapse -
You are missing a requirement...
by boya84 / May 20, 2010 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: k

and one of the reasons for good low light performance are large lenses to allow the limited light into the camcorder and a large imaging chip to process that limited amount of light. The lenses and chips are expensive. At $300, the camcorders in this range have very small lenses and imaging chip - so you can't get there from here.

Back to the missing requirement... Having a mic jack is handy for what you want - but unless you can control the audio gain going in through that mic jack all that will be recorded will be a muddy mess with maybe a lot of static. So... you need some way to control that audio gain. Most of the low-end camcorders with a mic jack do not have manual audio control. The least expensive camcorders - of which I am aware with a mic jack AND manual audio control are the Canon HF S100 Canon HV40 and Sony HDR-HC9. You can see if any given camcorder has a mic jack and manual audio control by downloading the camcorder's manual from the manufacturer's web site and checking for those features.

MSRP on these is two to three times more than your stated budget - and even on sale will be at least 2x more.

There are reasons why the professionals use the large camcorders they use. The are two (of MANY more reasons) of them.

Just my opinion...

Collapse -
How about Panasonic HDC-TM15?
by cnetuser88 / May 21, 2010 10:49 AM PDT

Well, how about Panasonic HDC-TM15 at

Collapse -
Going the right direction but
by boya84 / May 21, 2010 11:27 AM PDT

you won't notice much difference. Still almost an entry level camcorder; uses AVCHD compression to MTS files; 30.5mm lens filter diameter; 1/6" CMOS lens...

If you want good low-light behavior you need to move to 1/4" image sensors - 1/3" are better... and 58mm lenses or larger. One of my camcorders uses a 3CCD 1/3" imaging sensor system and has a 72mm lens filter diameter and is barely acceptable. The other with a 37mm lens and single 1/3" CMOS chip does not do so well.

I read through the manual:
The HDC-TM15 does not have some other things you said you need... no mic jack. No manual audio control. If you found these in the manual, please let me know the page number.

If you changed your requirements, please share that.

Collapse -
Unless you do not care the price
by cnetuser88 / May 21, 2010 12:23 PM PDT

You cannot claim the HD video camera under the price of $300 as well as the brand name unless you do not care the price.

Collapse -
by dreamkast / May 21, 2010 2:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
Come on, Sony DCR-SR67 costs $519.45 at
by cnetuser88 / May 21, 2010 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: .

The Sony DCR-SR67 costs at $519.45 at You have more choices at the price above $500.

Collapse -
by chickenorfish / May 22, 2010 5:55 AM PDT

probably ebay

Collapse -
None HD video camera has been out of date.
by cnetuser88 / May 22, 2010 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: ebay

Ebay has no warranty and quality guarantee. The Sony DCR-SR47E is not a high definition video camera. It costs more than $500. None HD video camera has been out of date.

Collapse -
When you change the requirements,
by boya84 / May 22, 2010 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: .

it is challenging to help you.

The Sony DCR-SR47 is not high definition, does not have an audio-in jack, won't do well in low-light - and does not have manual audio control. On top of that, I don't know what sort of music you play, but a lot of the DJs I know play fairly loud. Loud audio = lots of vibration. Hard disc drive based camcorders do not like vibration and can park the hard drive heads resulting in no recording at all... and "buffer overflow" messages. Flash memory and miniDV tape based camcorders do not have this vibration issue.

Good luck. I hope this works out for you.

Collapse -
Do you know the best buy model for the low light shooting?
by cnetuser88 / May 23, 2010 1:36 AM PDT

Well, you talked about lots on the specifics. Have you found a best buy model for the low light shooting? Please consider the price as every knows the high price, the better. We are discussing the best buy for the low light shooting. Can you recommend a one?

Collapse -
There is no such thing.
by boya84 / May 23, 2010 12:57 PM PDT

chickenorfish said so too.

But If you think there is, then flip a coin - in that price range they will all be about the same.

Like I said... good luck.

Collapse -
You do not know to compare, do you?
by cnetuser88 / May 24, 2010 1:46 AM PDT

Then, the discussion can end as you can pay over $1000 that will ensure you to get the best video camera. You do not know to compare, do you?

Collapse -
cnetuser88... that is one of the funniest
by boya84 / May 24, 2010 5:03 AM PDT

things I've read in a LONG time. Thank you!

Actually, I do "know how to compare". But thanks for the laugh.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?