Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

New version of AVG Antispyware and Spyware Terminator

by den65 / June 7, 2007 5:43 AM PDT

Good day. I upgraded both of these few days ago. Just to share, I've have problems with the auto updates of AVG. Any tips to rectify this? I'm impressed with the new version of Spyware Terminator, notably the new program interface. It also seems to be impressive, detecting backdoor W32 Trojan and auto quarrantined about 7 tracking cookies upo my first full scan after installing. Or maybe it's a co-incidence. Anyone caught any nasties which previously turned up a clean sheet? Comparing notes, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New version of AVG Antispyware and Spyware Terminator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New version of AVG Antispyware and Spyware Terminator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New version of AVG Antispyware ......
guard.exe absolutely needs to be running in the new version. Some of the main functionality like cleaning, analysis tools etc. had to be outsourced from avgas.exe to guard.exe. If you stop guard.exe after avgas.exe has been started, the analysis tools will stop working, you will not be able to clean/delete files etc.

Collapse -
Hi Marianna
by den65 / June 7, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

Actually, I was thinking disabling the Guard.EXE running process in the task manager cos I use AVG AS as an on demand scanner and so figured I don't need it running. How did you guess or perhaps you anticipated it? Anyway, thanks for the crucial information.

Collapse -
How did you guess or perhaps you anticipated it?
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 7, 2007 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Marianna

LOL - I had already read about guard.exe and that users had disabled it and nothing would then work ....... so, I "thought" you also could be "one of them" with a disabled guard.exe Happy

You Are Very Welcome Happy

Collapse -
btw. safemode does not work in the NEW version.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 7, 2007 9:20 AM PDT

"Until a fix is released download and use the AVG_Anti-Spyware_7.5.1.36_Safe_Mode_Registry_Patch.reg workaround patch to correct this.

You can download it here:

Save to your desktop, double-click on that file and choose "Yes" to merge it into the registry when prompted."

Just tried to download the fix ........ BE PATIENT..... Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Information noted
by den65 / June 7, 2007 9:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for this
by UKposter / June 8, 2007 7:50 PM PDT

I've been having recent problems with AVG-AntiSpyware reporting errors when trying to update recently, it tended to happen more often early in the day (UK time), and would be less of a problem later in the day for some reason. I downloaded this and all seems back to normal now.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?