Computer Help forum

General discussion

New Velocity Mico PC suddenly crashs (repeatedly)

by ahw30045 / March 5, 2005 4:26 AM PST

I have a new (one month old) Velocity Micro PC 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
and the system has been repeatedly shutting down so suddenly that no event logs are created, no warning, in a split second. The system is on a power strip protector and is unaffected.
Tech Support said to use system restore to an earlier date, but the only earlier date I had was the morning before the first crash: I had turned off System Restore while hunting down spyware. The next step in their ?solution? is do factory restore, wiping out everything. I am willing to do this if necessary, but I am in the middle of a huge project for work with deadlines looming. Does this sound to you like a software issue? It doesn?t to me, but I have been wrong many times: it seems to be power related, maybe overheating, ?

What would you do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Velocity Mico PC suddenly crashs (repeatedly)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Velocity Mico PC suddenly crashs (repeatedly)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a warranty issue. Nothing to do really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 4:29 AM PST

Just make the call and have them fix it.

Did you try to run it with the cover off? Too many wonder machines are running too hot.

Bob

Collapse -
Tech support is stalling, saying it could be drivers
by ahw30045 / March 5, 2005 5:13 AM PST

I pulled the cover as you suggested and called Tech Support again
?Was told to do the Factory Restore after my project is over; he said that drivers can do this.
?If I want to check heat possibility, I can go into BIOS and go to Power Menu, then Hardware monitor; should be well below 80 degrees C.
?I told him that this last crash was different in that the PC didn?t restart and the Power Light was on, but the system was off and was difficult to restart (had to hit Power button repeatedly). He said to pull power cord if that happens again.
* In less than 30 minutes, I came back from kitchen to find the PC totally down again with the power light on
?I went into the BIOS to check the temperature and the CPU was in the mid 40s (target temperature listed as 69), and motherboard was similar; of course, the cover had been off prior to crash and I don?t know how long it had been down before I returned)
Have you every heard of drivers causing a problem like this?

Collapse -
Looks hot to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 5:26 AM PST

Here's a problem that many don't realise until someone tells them. The CPU is not the only component that can be heat sensitive. Many will write "the CPU temp is..." and not try the cover off test.

I've never found drivers to help in situations where time and temperature are the factor.

Bob

Collapse -
How can I control devices being loaded
by ahw30045 / March 5, 2005 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Looks hot to me.

I see all kinds of processes running in Task Manager and don't know how to control these (they are not related to programs in my Startup folder). What software can I use to monitor and control (try removing to see if there is an effect on crashing)?

Collapse -
Review...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 5:35 AM PST

Sadly you are missing the obvious (to me at least). But I find people need to work through such even to the point of reloading the OS a few dozen times. As you want to do these gymnastics, here's a site about it.

-> http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP6.htm has the initial intro and links...

Bob

Collapse -
Just going the steps to satisfy Tech Support
by ahw30045 / March 5, 2005 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Review...

The problems are more frequent and now I am just going the steps to satisfy Tech Support. I will do the system (factory) restore, so that I can get this fixed and move on.

Question: If the problem occured while running in Safe Mode, would this be conclusive that the problem is not software related?

Collapse -
You were right
by ahw30045 / March 5, 2005 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Review...

Bob:

I know not enough people come back to tell you that you were right, so I thought I would. I went through all of the hoops Tech Support asked and did a System Restore (after the PC would finally start up after 20 minutes of trying) and it crashed after I entered the Windows product key and activated.

When I called Tech Support, which promised this support (pasted from their website): Velocity Micro provides 1 to 3 years of toll-free, 24/7 in house technical support for all systems shipped within the United States, depending on the warranty package purchased. During this time, the customer may call our Warranty Help Desk at (800) 303-7866 at any time to speak with a certified technician from our build team to assess any issues with the system. The toll-free telephone number & Warranty number are on the Warranty Sticker, which is affixed to the computer case and included in the Warranty information packet received with the computer system.
Support service begins upon the customer's receipt of the system. Support service covers only those products purchased from and installed by Velocity Micro. The technician at the Help Desk will provide hardware and basic software support to resolve operational conflicts. If the technician believes that the problem may lie with the hardware, he will arrange for shipment of replacement components and schedule on-site service. [end paste]
When I called, I got an answering service who said they would notify the on-call tech to call me; he didn't call back. I called again and was told the messages would be picked up Monday morning "unless you think it is an emergency." I told her that it wouldn't be an emergency if I was treated properly over the last 3 days of tech support calls. I was given another number and received a "it sounds like your PC has a real problem; I will have the tech call you." Still waiting for the call.

Collapse -
Velocity Micro computers
by Big Steve / March 17, 2005 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: You were right

After having gone through all that you've been through; would you still recommend Velocity Micro to family or friends or would you advise them to stay away and consider another brand?

Big Steve
End Of Message
03/18/05

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?