PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New USB printer - how hard can it be?

by Doug / November 9, 2006 7:32 PM PST

Just installed a new Epson Stylus Photo RX700. It works fine as a stand alone scanner/printer but I can't get it to work through the computer off its USB connection. I used the CD provided but when that didn't seem to work, I contacted Epson support. They gave me a link to new drivers which I downloaded and installed. While the printer shows up in my list of printers nothing I send to it prints. When you click on the printer, the documents are there with a "printing error" listed next to each. The USB hub and host show to be OK in Device Manager and I have a card reader working off one USB connector, so I would think the USB ports are OK. I contacted Epson support again, but they have not responded.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New USB printer - how hard can it be?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New USB printer - how hard can it be?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very hard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2006 9:04 PM PST

Let's examine the details in your post. Not a word about the host PC, the OS, the BIOS version, the Motherboard drivers you used and so on. These details matter.

One thing that many expect from the device makers is to fix our PC. Sadly they won't.

I would have supplied more information but your post is far too light on details. And just because a card reader works does not mean it's going to play with a printer.

Bob

Collapse -
Here you go.....
by Doug / November 10, 2006 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: Very hard.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Psck 2 (build 2600)
Home built PC - 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
377.44 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
365.31 gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Board : ASUSTek Computer Inc. A8V Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 2-- megahertz
BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 0218 - 10/13/2005
1280 Megabytes installed memory
Slot DIMM0 has 128 MB
Slot DIMM1 has 1024 MB
Slot DIMM2 is empty
Slot DIMM3 has 128 MB
Local Drives
c: (FAT32 on drive 0)80 GB
f: (NTFS on dirve 1) 137.44 GB
g: (FAT32 on drive 2) 160 GB
Printers
EPSON Stylus Photo RX700 on LPT2
HP LaserJet 4P on network "short" computer
Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE controller - 0571
Bus Adapters
VIA SATA RAID Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
Communications
Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Using US Robotics 56K modem through an SMC router
Display
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Batesias 17" flat screen monitor
Multimedia
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Constroller
Other Devices
Standard 101/102 Keyboard and PS2 on a 2 port KVM
USB Root Hub (4x)

The only information I can see on the drivers Epson supplied are:
EPSON Print CD version 1.31
EPSON Scan Version 2.6
EPSON Status Monitor 3 Version 3.00
EPSON setup application version 6.00

Collapse -
Typical for self builts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2006 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Here you go.....

And you didn't answer my questions so it far too likely your motherboard drivers and even the BIOS may be out of date. When you update those and try the rear USB ports it may work.

The front USB ports on home builts are often using USB 1.1 wiring on USB 2.0 ports. Iffy...

You can see why people struggle so. Microsoft will not fetch those drivers for you, so dive back in and get that all updated, then use the read USB ports.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!