TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

New TV purchase (coax input)

by ppalmerjr / June 23, 2013 1:39 AM PDT

Currently, I have a non-HD directv reciever with coax output and I'm splitting this output to multipe standard def televisions. Yes we have to watch the same channel on all tv's but not an issue because we do not occupy multiple rooms at the same time.

I'm looking to add a new tv to the mix but am unable to find any tv (lcd,led,plasma - I need to mount it to the wall) that has coax input.

If I purchase a tv that only has hdmi,component inputs.......how do I go about sending it a coax feed?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New TV purchase (coax input)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New TV purchase (coax input)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What country are you in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 1:54 AM PDT

Here in the USA I see component, composite as well as Tuner inputs on most models.

Coax is too wide a range to list here but what country are you in?
Bob

Collapse -
I'm in the USA.
by ppalmerjr / June 23, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

I'm wondering if I can take the output from the directv box (coax) and go into the ant in port on the tv....which is a coax port.

Collapse -
Coax to antenna port.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm in the USA.

Since the TVs do have antenna ports in the USA at the models I see at best buy, I wonder if the issue is the directtv box. Said box would have to transmit on some old channel 3 and would be standard definition.

Maybe there are missing details here. Such as you want this to be HD.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I know we all wants to save money but...
by Oldartq / June 23, 2013 3:38 AM PDT

don't you have a control problem when the tv are in different room but the box is in another room. Maybe a hi-def box for the new tv might be better to take advantage of the hi-def. tv. and I think the hi-def box should have low-def output connection if you want to get rid of the old box (but be sure to check with directv though). I am sure there are many solutions to this. Enjoy.

Collapse -
no control problem
by ppalmerjr / June 23, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

No control problem at all. I use the directv RF remotes for controlling the box from other rooms.

Collapse -
Answer
All commerical sets have coax (UHF-VHF) inputs
by mjd420nova / June 25, 2013 1:58 AM PDT

This has been an industry standard since TVs inception. Channels number 2 thru 83 are UHF and VHF BROADCAST channels. Presently only transmitting only digital video and audio programming. Requiring connection to a 75 ohm impedance antenna. The antenna can be indoors, outdoors and even amplifier to servemany units. The output from the cable box, has many options. Coax, usually selectable between ch#3 or #4, a composite(yel-red-white), component(red-green-blue) and HDMI. HDMI offers some handshaking between devices and helps to insure the TV mode matches the mode for the media being sent to it.. Coax and composite can support HD (720P and up) if connections are tight and clean. Component and HDMI were brought about to support higher resolutions beyond the SD (640P) range that required better sheilding from interference and crosstalk.

Collapse -
Don't you mean 480p? (n/t)
by Pepe7 / June 25, 2013 2:02 AM PDT

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.