Question

New TV Help

Hi guys. I'm in the hunt for a new TV. I'm looking for the best looking TV I can find for $800 or lower, with a screen between 46-50 inches. Right now I've been looking at the Panasonic TC-P50U50 and the Samsung LND630. I was wondering if any of you had experiences with those 2, or if you know of any TVs that fit what Im looking for that I may be overlooking. Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: New TV Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New TV Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
You were looking at 2 TV's.

Since you want a good looking one, the simple question is "which one looked best?"

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
I'd go look at the models in the stores.
- Collapse -
Answer
For $50 more than your budget...

...IMO and E with the current crop of Panasonic plasmas, you should grab a UT50 instead. (Buy online to avoid tax.) It performs nearly identically as the higher priced ST50, with slightly less ability to deal with ambient room lighting. OTOH, it's a much, much better product than the U50, which, most importantly, does not have their 'fast switching phosphors' of their ST50 (and higher) models. This is what you want when looking at plasmas- helps deal with fast motion of all kinds. The U and X series don't far so well in this regard, nor do they w/ black levels/contrast.

Truth be told though, all HDTVs should be ideally be located in viewing spaces that do not involved direct/bright lighting from windows. Get some basic shades from Home Depot and magically, the PQ increases. No need to bother with annoying 120/240Hz LED-LCDs Wink

-Pedro

- Collapse -
Personal preference for Panasonic

Yes, look at sets in stores to determine your preference, then buy online to save $$$.
I concur the upgrade Panasonic should be awesome.

CNET Forums