Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

New to website design/hosting/registering help please

by johnhh2005 / September 18, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

Ok, today I decided that I wanted to check out how to make a website and get it on the internet. Here is the thing... I have no real idea what I am doing. I got Dreamweaver cs3 and a few other Adobe products to work with. I started a site design (just to mess around) now I am trying to figure out who to get a domain name with, who to register it with and who to host it with? I did some research but when I do not know what a MYSQL server is how am I supposed to know how many of them I need? What is a subdomain and how many am I going to need?

I guess what I am looking for is advice on a site that has a really basic system for me to start out with but I can upgrade services as I need them. Right now I do not even know what I am building a website for...

Not really sure if I can make this any more difficult so I will just close with this statement. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to try to help me with this. Thank you so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New to website design/hosting/registering help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New to website design/hosting/registering help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's the goal here?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

You can install some web server like Apache in minutes and start popping in web pages.

You can research MySQL on google and given the volume of information you can't be asking what it is so the question must be "something else."

-> Here's a quick install of "everything." -> http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Collapse -
If it's just a site to learn
by Sovereign Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: What's the goal here?

then it would be cheaper just to do it locally on your computer. You can emulate a server and see your site the way other people see it. It also allows you to install content management systems and try them out. Look into XAMPP if that's something you might want.

If you really want to get all this online, you could register a domain at godaddy or hostway, get a cheap host at like totalchoicehosting or anhosting, and then upload your website.

All hosts usually allow MYSQL and allow a few to unlimited sub domains. If you're playing with dreamweaver for a basic site, you will probably not need neither one of those options now.

Check some of the hosts and try the cheapest package possible.

~Sovereign

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.