Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

new to web design

by CommandoSolo / July 27, 2007 9:30 AM PDT

I'm just getting into web design and I just wanted to know a few things.

First off is there anything that I should definitely avoid putting into my site. Secondly what really are the determining factors between whether a site is considered non-professional or professional?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new to web design
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new to web design
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alright
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: new to web design
First off is there anything that I should definitely avoid putting into my site.

Well, it honestly really depends on what the website is for (advertising) and who your audience is.... if you were a music artist, you'd put a music player or background music... etc

On another note, I'd avoid using frames.

Secondly what really are the determining factors between whether a site is considered non-professional or professional?

You can easily see that yourself if you go to a myspace page (loaded with "junk" that doesn't necessarily add any information about the person whose myspace it is) and then compare it with like microsoft.com ... basically speaking, if you have content on your website that doesn't necessarily add to the purpose of the message that you are trying to convey, I'd consider that unprofessional (except for maybe paid advertising... that's a discussion for another day). Professional has hardly anything to do with how simple or complex your website is... if it is easy on the eye (not all bright red or green), a little graphically beautiful (maybe a header, menu, border graphics, etc), and has content that is relevant, you can get a decent website.

All in all, it's not so much about what not to do, but what your website should do/be ...

You want your web site to be easy to read, navigate, and find. It should also be consistent in layout and style, and should definitely load rather quickly even on a modem connection (alhtough, a lot of people have DSL nowadays).
Collapse -
I would avoid
by PudgyOne / July 28, 2007 2:17 PM PDT

putting email address on my website. I would use a special email account for contact purposes.

Use basic html. If you code your website correctly, with the meta tags, the search engines will find your simple html coding.

Rick

Collapse -
Good one PudgyOne
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 29, 2007 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: I would avoid

Especially because of spam... once you put your email address on to your website in the form of name@provider.com, you can be sure someone will get it to send you advertisements/spam. Another reason is when you put your email address on there, and people click it, it will try to send an email with a client like Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc, some people don't use clients but rather web-based email such as yahoo.com or gmail.com ... so posting it and perhaps making it a link is completely useless most of the time (*). It would be much easier for the user if you had setup a contact form where user fills in their name, subject, message, and then simply submits it. It also prevents people from sending you images or attachments.

(*) I say most of the time because there are certain "plugins" for your PC... I think gmail has it, where you can click a link and it will automatically open a web-based gmail composition window, but I honestly don't know how many people actually use it.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
not quite on topic...
by sak01 / August 20, 2007 1:38 AM PDT

This isnt quite on topic, but if you want a simple guide to learn how to code your website well, I highly recommend the free tutorials at http://htmldog.com/

I found them very useful.

a few more tips: 1. Keep you site simple. Don't over design by adding flash animation or elaborate styling images. Most of time users just want to get to the site content quickly and easily.

2. Don't pick too many bright/contrasting colours because it will drive me insane!

3. Have a look at other sites, see what colours and layout they use. Don't just copy the code though!

4. You can use a free CSS template to help you quickly build a site layout. http://www.csstinderbox.com and many others are great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?