Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

New to this...

by fallsman8 / November 16, 2005 9:14 AM PST

I have Windows ME (still) and am considering buying software that I can make my own slideshow/videos with music, special effects, etc. Anyone have any recommendations? If so, what does the software require of your computer? Also, does anyone know of a program that will allow your videos or slides to change to the beat of music? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New to this...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New to this...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slideshows, etc.....
by MelH / November 17, 2005 8:21 PM PST
In reply to: New to this...

You might want to try ProShow Gold, available here:

http://www.photodex.com/

I use it on both Win98SE and WinXP and it is very good. I think you will find that it does all you ask.

Collapse -
Beware of Proshow Gold
by blitz / November 26, 2005 5:59 PM PST

An good program with a serious flaw for longer presentations: sound track is dragging and becomes non synchronized with images (and videos).
This is an old and well known bug, wich is not fixed till this day.
When considering purchasing the program be aware of this bug.

Collapse -
Could it be?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2005 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Beware of Proshow Gold

I've never seen that issue. But the machines we have are all > 2GHz, 512MB RAM, no pests, fairly optimized, best drivers we can determine, up to date BIOS and so on. You get the picture.

How do I recreate this issue?

Bob

Collapse -
Sound problems in long presentation shows
by blitz / December 3, 2005 7:12 PM PST
In reply to: Could it be?

Am not entitled to add here url, so just look for the Proshowgroup in Yahoo and look for the problem.
Also for a temporary solution goto sevenhillscameraclub.org and look for an article called:
Audacity to the rescue.

I've noticed 2 problems:
1/ Sound offset (start or end) will eventually cause problems.
2/ on longer shows a growing delay in sound is occuring.
your show must contain 200 photos and videos.

Collapse -
I can recreate this in other packages so...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2005 12:02 AM PST

It must not be an exclusive to Proshow.

Here's how. When I have a series of JPEG images and compare playback on 2 DVD players that support such, the decode time varies from picture to picture and total runtime after just a dozen or so pictures is off by many seconds.

I don't have a cure for that, but as the player is causing this issue, I chalked it up to the players not Proshow.

Bob

Collapse -
The delay is already in the EXE PC file.
by blitz / December 4, 2005 1:48 AM PST

The delay occurs already when closing the show as a PC exe file.
On the contrary, I produced a VCD which worked perfectly well ! There was no delay in this disk when running on my TV.

The problem is in the EXE file. I tried on different machines to create the file and to run it. There is always a delay. When you try to move/add pictures and reajust the sound tracks there is always a peculiar delay: the time indication is totaly incompatible with the reality on the screen.

This program is supposed to create a working presentation, and not to force the user to deal with problems which were not documented.
Let me also indicate that support was ineffective, unkind to answer and fulfill its own promises. This is maybe my biggest disappointment.

Collapse -
Ahh, but what dd you write here?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2005 2:13 AM PST

" The delay occurs already when closing the show as a PC exe file. "

I don't understand "closing the show" here. While I've seen timing problems in many multimedia products, I can usually trace it back to odd audio encoding rates, codecs or "other." To work around this I can re-encode the audio to some new bit rate, but you are right to expect a program to either do this for you or maybe have a web page describing how to create better sync'd material.

Bob

Collapse -
So, um......
by fallsman8 / December 5, 2005 6:43 AM PST

Can someone, then, please make a recommendation of what software to use that DOES work, without all the stuff that doesn't?
(See original question if you're lost)

Thanks!

Collapse -
Sony Vegas works just fine. One of the demos I've seen shows
by Kiddpeat / December 5, 2005 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: So, um......

photos distributed along the time line to beat markers. The markers are manually set, but Vegas handles the distribution. It has no problem keeping audio and video in synch. It is, however, a bit pricy which usually causes folks to reassess. I don't know how well its 'lite' version handles your situation. You can download the full version for a trial period.

Collapse -
Here are some products
by blitz / December 6, 2005 7:52 PM PST
In reply to: So, um......

Here is my list:

AutoPlay Media Studio Professional 5.0.2 from Indigi rose Software
Live-Studio 2 from Rangelsoft.pl
Flying PopCorn 4.02 from Parasys
Pictacle from Presentware.com
Quickmedia6 from Omegaconcept.fr
Pinnacle Studio Plus 10 from Pinnaclesys.com
Vegas 6 from Sonymediasoftware.com

Some of the programs are to much video oriented.
Others are very difficult to learn.
Some offer only basic output.

You wouldn't believe it, but my conclusion is that
Proshow Gold is probably the best, worthy, easy and powerful presentation program. But please let them first debug and correct the sotware flaws.

Collapse -
A new Proshow Gold version (2.6) - are problems over ?
by blitz / December 9, 2005 7:04 AM PST

Maybe the flaws of the previous version are gone with this new version. Time will tell us that.

If only folks at Photodex would have sent a word last month on the upcoming of this new release instead of keeping silent and not responding to errors and problems reports.

The program with its innovations looks good, let's hope it's also working that way.

Collapse -
Tech Support/Customer Service
by fallsman8 / December 9, 2005 11:23 PM PST

So you're saying they're not much help when one has issues with the product?

Well, there's always the CNET family!

Thanks to all who wrote. I'll most likely give ProShow Gold a try. I tried the free trial version and have no complaints thus far.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?