HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

NEw to the av recievers

by sleepdep / August 14, 2007 6:42 PM PDT

Im moving into a new apartment. Im planning to buy a 60 inch Sony KDS-60A2000 tv and need speakers to go with it.

I use the tv for my ps3, bluray movies, my wii and hd cable.

id like to get a set that i can plug in my hdmi cables from the ps3 and cable box with just 1 cable going to the tv and the system doing all the sound work.

I dont need loud sound but i do need quality. Id like it to be somewhat future proof and while price isnt to much an issue i could see my upper limits being around the price of the tv.

htib are ok if they get the job done but i wouldnt want one with abuilt in dvd player.

suggestions? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEw to the av recievers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEw to the av recievers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
exactly what you want
by ozos / August 15, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

You'll want to get an A/V processor, not sure what your budget is however that TV costs $2500 on Amazon, so we'll figure $2500-$3500 for your audio budget, which leaves you in great shape.

An AV processor is basically the device you've described, it takes multiple audio and video inputs, drives a video signal out to the display, and audio signals out to an amplifier (it acts as a preamplifier as well).

I'd suggest Rotel, harmon/kardon, Yamaha, McIntosh, and Denon (theres a lot of price delination with those brands, and h/k might even have a reciever processor device)

Something like the Rotel RSP-1068 seems like it would suit your needs:
http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsp1068.htm

The RSP-1068 costs about $1700 US, so it might be a tad above what you'd wanna pay (figure you'll pay another $1000+ for an amplifier and $2500+ for speakers with that configuration), another option would be a multi-channel reciever/processor unit, which will combine a basic power amplifier and AV processor features, such as the RSX-1057, it'll provide 75w/ch for 5.1 (5 channels, subwoofer is powered on its own amp), and costs about $1300, leaving about about $1500-$2000 for a speaker setup, which is realistic
http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsx1057.htm

For speakers, theres quite a number of options, I'd look at Bowers & Wilkins, MartinLogan, Kef, Dynaudio, Genelec, Infinity, Klipsch, NHT, Paradigm, Wharfedale, etc (basically get away from low quality HTIAB/COTS equipment, you're after quality, no reason to avoid it)

You'll really have to decide for yourself what sound you like, if you end up choosing speakers that will need more than 75W/ch, you'll need to go with a preamp/amp solution, which will get more expensive (welcome to the world of home theatre)

Another option would be to change your TV decision and go with Bang & Olufsen, which will be a more or less all-in-one solution (they'll sell you everything, TV, speakers, remote, etc, it may not be competitive with a $50,000 HT setup, but it'll be simplistic and functional, and high quality) B&O will offer a unique look and performance level, but you'll need your whole budget to go there (which is why I say back out of the Sony to go B&O)

Check B&O out online at:
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp

Or you'll have to find a local store (in my experience the presales customer service for B&O is a cut above most boutique hi-fi stores)

One of the nice features of B&O speakers, that presently no other manufacturer offers (at least that i've seen to such a degree, Altec Lansing has a similar technology though (I would never suggest Altec Lansing for HT)) is the sonic lens technology, which creates much less directional audio (it helps minimize the cabinet apperance, which improves the soundstage and imaging) although as I recall the speakers equipped with it cost somewhere around $3500/pair (could've changed with new models)

If B&O isn't your bag, and you end up looking at more "conventional" HT setups, I'd suggest Martin-Logan speakers (if the sound is to your liking, some people don't like the imaging on ESL's) or B&W's 600 and 700 series products, Dynaudio also produces an exceptional speaker

Collapse -
another idea
by ozos / August 15, 2007 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: exactly what you want
Collapse -
What's your realistic budget? By mentioning HTIB, I guess
by NM_Bill / August 17, 2007 3:01 PM PDT

it is fairly limited.

I am one who would urge putting pieces together yourself or more lasting satisfaction. That said, the Onkyo HTIBs are consistently mentioned here as best value. They have several, but their new, up to date with HDMI is the HS800 which is $600 plus shipping. Perhaps discounts available. Respectable sound with an even better receiver. No disk player included. Get an Oppo.

But for our further info, what is the budget?

Collapse -
GOOD QUESTION; WHAT IS THE BUDGET?.............
by Riverledge / August 20, 2007 12:00 PM PDT

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH BILL on the ONKYO HS-800. However, you indicated a higher budget by comparing your means as the same as the HDTV. A SONY 60A2000 probably cost about $1,500-1,700.00.

Question, is that a more accurate budget range?

River.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.