HolidayBuyer's Guide

Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

new to office/small business solutions...need help please

by jsuri00 / August 13, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

hey ladies and gents,

so im completely new to the small business world and would like some help.

in setting up the small business office infrastructure, someone told me about microsoft sharepoint 2010 and exchange 2010.

What is microsoft sharepoint 2010 and exchange 2010?
Can I get them together?
Why is it so expensive to get them together?
how can i cheapen the price for getting them together?
do i absolutely need an IT guy if im going to use these two services?

I require access for about 12 users, 20 gigs of space, a backup utility, and syncronization between exchange and sharepoint so that calenders, contacts, documents can be shared.

please help.
appreciate it.

your pupil,
anon y. mous

p.s. any links, resources, phonenumbers you can provide will be immensely appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new to office/small business solutions...need help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new to office/small business solutions...need help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: infrastructure
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2010 6:39 AM PDT

Sharepoint is meant for sharing documents. It's nicely integrated with the Office 2010 suite (Word, Excel and Powerpoint especially).
Exchange is meant for sharing contacts and calenders and as an internal mail server. It's nicely integrated with MS Outlook.

Links:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/2010/en/us/default.aspx

If you are interested in running these programs on your own servers, I'd really advise you to have it set up by a company that's specialized in it. Once it's setup, and your IT staff has followed some basic courses, they will be able to do the day-to-day management. That's not a full-time job, of course, but you'll certainly need someone who can do it (although, of course, it can be outsourced to the same supplier who did the setup).

It's possible also to run these programs as a service in the cloud. That's probably much cheaper.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
thanks!
by jsuri00 / August 14, 2010 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: infrastructure

hey kees,

thank you very much for your reply.
what do you mean by running the service in the cloud?
are there any really good alternatives to sharepoint and exchange?

thanks

Collapse -
Re: cloud
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2010 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.