Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

new to networking...how to connect laptop AND PC

I'm hooking up a network for someone, while I know a fair amoout about computers to work things out, I am still new to networking. THe thing is, this person has his HOME PC running on a USB WIRELESS (2wire/sbc) because the closet wall jack is upstairs.

Also, he wants his laptop to have internet access at home, so he can take it to work and home. If I am correct, he needs a router right? He has the DSL modem, and when I installed the PC/wifi card in his laptop it connected, but it says there is limited or no connect. Generally speaking, its as if two computers are trying to get connect to one DSL modem, therefore I need a router?

THanks for the help and clarification

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new to networking...how to connect laptop AND PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new to networking...how to connect laptop AND PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the modem have router capabilities?

In reply to: new to networking...how to connect laptop AND PC

You say it is connected, but to what? Could you be picking up the neighbors WAP?

Collapse -
dfgdfg

In reply to: Does the modem have router capabilities?

It says it is connected to my DSL MODEM. it is number 223 or something, and the one on the HOME PC is connected to 223, so I did the same for the laptop and it detects it and all that jazz, but there is no acivity. Something about being assigned a network somethin?

Collapse -
You will have to delve further...

In reply to: dfgdfg

into the workings of this modem/router? Name the product and/or look through the manual.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What Hardware and Software you have?

Collapse -
I had this problem but fixed it...

Don't know what your setup is, but I had the same problem at home using a cable modem.
It was because the cable modem can only give 1 IP address at a time, so only one PC can be connected at a time. The first one turned on will get a connection and the other won't. Short term, power off both machines, reset the modem, then power up the machine you want to connect. Do this each time your want a different machine to connect. Ideally though you do need a router. The router will take the 1 IP address from the modem, then give separate IP addresses to the PC's. If you follow the manual with the router it's relatively straight forward

Collapse -
interesting...well...

In reply to: I had this problem but fixed it...

He has a 2wire home wireless DSL modem, not sure on the specific model, its the one with 4 ethernet ports in the back. It makes sense about only being able to give one PC an IP address at a time. Really, I dont know if he needs both PCs on at the same time, it would probably be convenient, but I can try just connecting one at a time if thats the case.

What kind of router would I need to set up two wireless PCs to work at the same time with one DSL modem? THanks again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.