HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

new to mac got the bug!

by steelshot / July 9, 2009 1:54 AM PDT

my teen occupies the pc so i took a g3 from my nephew just to access craigslist ebay forums etc .after running a ethernet cable from top floor to where mac is set up i was dissapointed to find os9.2 is not capable to run my email ebay etc.but i got fasinated at the gizmo factor well desighned case etc and love it but to upgrade would cost hundreds .my question is this a g4 is for sale locally,50 bucks its got a monitor included 1440x1050 vga adapter?he's original owner. 500 mhz 512 mb ram 27 gig hd ati rage 128 pro grapiccard says it has a fresh install os 10.4 and no issues. with the mouse and keyboard included.will this get me surfing, pictures, video,everything average person would need?i don't care for gaming,?he says he can't find manual an issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new to mac got the bug!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new to mac got the bug!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 6:40 AM PDT

while this G4 you have your eye on is a little long in the tooth and slow compared with new Mac's, it will indeed do what you want it to do.
At $50 it is a deal.

I would suggest upping the memory to the maximum, figure will vary with the type of G4 it is. You can get that from crucial.com.
Not sure about the VGA adapter though. If memory serves, all the G4 towers had a VGA connection on the graphic card, but I could be wrong.
Missing manual is not an issue, there really wasn't one, but make sure you get the Operating System disks.

Let us know what you decide

P

Collapse -
Yes It Will:
by In-Correct / July 11, 2009 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Welcome

got my first mac last october and set it up in January. It had 9.2.2 and yes unfortunately there isn't much that was done for internet...just third party applications like AOL, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, and IE5.
I was barely able to get anywhere on the internet... and not any place at all with fancy flash websites.

There is a version of Mozilla browser made in 2002 that is the most stable and the quickest and can get on internet almost flawlessly......and when it doesn't, the browser will crash and if it doesn't crash then the mouse arrow will turn into a watch and you can't click anything. Gently scroll because even that will mess it up. Whatever Mozilla won't go to, iCab 3 will, but much much slower.

That is a tip to help out until you are able to get OS X.
(and all you said was G3, and you did not include details on the G3 on why it would cost hundreds to upgrade it...perhaps it might now cost that much; you could get things on ebay but it would cost more than $50.00)

$50.00 is a perfect deal for a mac. The potential machine may be "old", but OS X, a Unix-Like OS (making it different from Mac Classic) has Safari and OS X can open Disk Images (DMGs) which are install files so you should not have problems with compatibility or any internet problems either.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.