General discussion

New to 1080p Please Help

Hello, I am looking at buying a new lower end camcorder for my upcoming fishing trips and vacations. I have a few options so far. The Sony MH5-CM5, the Insignia dv1080p, and the insignia dv720p. I have found refurbished models of each on ebay for a really good price. What I would like to do is record all the videos to my SD card, take all the videos and edit them and in the end make somewhat of a movie just recapping the summer. I would love to get the 1080p camera just for the greater detail but when I read many people are having problems editing the videos in 1080p format unless they have a powerful computer. I will be using a Macbook with a 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory is 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, and have an Intel GMA X3100 graphics card. When I try to play 1080p movie from youtube it plays very choppy but the 720p plays smooth for the most part.

Please let me know what I can do with the computer I have to get the best quality movie

If you have any reviews about the camera I am looking at getting, or have any other recommendations for me in the lower end of the price spectrum.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: New to 1080p Please Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New to 1080p Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
you should

you should be able to play the videos just fine. is that how you will view the finalized videos, on your mac?

i have the insignia 720p model and love it for what it is. i can play the files back on my laptop with similar specs as your mac.

- Collapse -
Playback

Well what I want to do it use the mac as the editing computer since it is the newest I own, and then either have the final video saved on my computer or make a DVD to show to others. I haven't even started thinking about how the DVD would work, Would it be considered a HD DVD or would it just play as a regular DVD in any player? I was just worried that my computer graphic card was not up to 1080p and would either have to watch a choppy video or compress it down to something similar to 780p which would cancel out the 1080p on the camera all together.

CNET Forums