General discussion

New tablet that converts to laptop

I saw on CNET, maybe a month ago, a new tablet/laptop that converts by having the screen pivot on two silver rail-type things on the side. It can either be a tablet with the screen sitting on top of the keyboard, or the screen slides away from the keyboard to make it look more like a laptop. That's a horrible description, I'm sorry. I also think it was running Windows 8.

Anyone have any idea what that tablet was called?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: New tablet that converts to laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New tablet that converts to laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There was a flirtation of that design years ago by Lenovo.

Here's the CNET link about it.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10424800-269.html

It's been done before and given it's lukewarm sales and more, you probably won't see this again. The next things will likely be the Windows 8 tablet with it's keyboard unit. Although the big issue for most will be APPS.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/tablets/windows-8-tablets-release-date-specs-and-prices-916134

Both could run Windows 8 but what is the draw here? I mean you won't be using Office or many current apps for a while.
Bob

- Collapse -
Not quite the one I was thinking of

This had grey/silver rails on the side that were connected to the tablet and allowed the screen to slide away and up, locking into place to be used as a screen for a keyboard.

- Collapse -
Haven't seen that one.

But can't see the attraction given the issues with APPs and use. As the Slate rolls out you can bet you'll see more models as they hope to get you to buy one.

Sorry but your description sounds like a fragile thing.
Bob

- Collapse -
I thought the same thing about it being fragile,

and it may not work for us, but I was intrigued. And then when I couldn't find it, I was even more determined to figure out what it was called!

- Collapse -
Could it be this Fujitsu?
- Collapse -
Dell XPS Duo
- Collapse -
Is it the Microsoft Surface?

CNET Forums