Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

New Start Up Advice

by jadams639 / February 4, 2014 3:56 AM PST

First of all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I want to start my own sound intallation company the provides services to home and commercial facilities installing surround systems, in wall speakers, PAs, Control booths, mounting TV/Projectors, and Installing automation systems (Like Extron MediaLink products). I would charge by hour plus parts, I live in Orlando FL and from my research there is not many companies around here like that, except the big box stores services, which are not as comprehensive as what i wish to offer. I have lots of experience with both HT and Pro setups in Churches, Theatres, Home, etc... and I've done my fair share of cable pulling in attics, and I'm very confidant in my skills.

Do you thing there is potential in this market?

What certifications do I need to obtain? Electrical Certifications? Etc...

I've already came up with a name and a Logo

What do you think?
Do you have any experience in this field?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Start Up Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Start Up Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd start by
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: New Start Up Advice

Writing in one page or less handouts how things work.

For example I've lost count of consumers that explode when they discover that getting more than stereo out of their HDTV is blocked by HDCP rules. It would be a great idea to have 1/3 fold information handouts ready for such or on your web site.

On the handout and web page you offer your services.

It's a great business with a lot of expressed needs out there. My brother trains techs for a major company and his stories are great. Mostly about how they set it all up and then get call backs after someone alters the setup by adding a Xbox or such. It's kind of a royal mess out there today and handouts might add value to your services.

I'm sure you know ARC and the disaster that's been. Nice when it works.
Bob

Collapse -
Reach Out to Commercial Properties
by Accounting2013 / March 17, 2014 12:23 PM PDT

I'm an accountant for several commercial property management companies -- they almost always work exclusively with people they know and rely on.

I would suggest approaching them as they are always building, expanding, tearing down, and repeating the process for new tenants and such. Also, approach residential management companies. They are likely to be wanting to revamp and tune up their properties to attract high-end tenants.

You could also speak to real estate agents & construction companies -- they will always more than likely hear somebody talk about their dream entertainment room. It's a great time to have them drop your name and business card.

Finally, I suggest talking to specific brands (if there is a big seller in your area -- you could become their designated installer guy). But the key is to network, network, and more network -- aiming at the right crowd that is.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Tran Nguyen
Accountant

Collapse -
Regarding New Start Up Advice
by onlinebeautystore / March 23, 2014 3:19 PM PDT

Thanks for sharing wonderful advise. Its really very useful.

Collapse -
Where to find clients
by DOREYCOM / April 7, 2014 6:06 AM PDT

Hello

The first question: where do I find clients?

The easy answer would be: individuals or firms preparing an event.

Individuals for their wedding or parties, firms for their event, such as the Corpo (christmas, picnic...) party of the year, or a band who need extra lights and sound installations.

The second question: how do I make them know that my firm exist?
Rank your services and website first with a SEO provider.
Post flyers on college/univ parkings
Advertise in Brides/wedding press magazine;
Call and send information (get meetings) with wedding planners...Make them special offers so they'll get used to you.

This is just a few ideas, I'm sure you'll go further.
In your adv and flyers, don't hesitate to be direct and pro, propose: management and full service for any event and reception... Like if you were an Event producer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!