General discussion

New Spring phone recommendations please!

Hey guys, I'm upgrading my Sprint plan and getting a new phone. I'd like it to have the following features:
-conveniently check Google Calendar
-check and send email
-easy to type... I prefer even T9 to the tiny keys of a Blackberry lol, I like the idea of Swype as well.
-get directions
-play music with good sound quality, and good storage capacity
-take pics and vids, but i'm not too much of a camera person

I know only a little bit about apps. I think the useful apps are almost all free, aren't they? I'd like a phone to download them.

Ideally, if this phone is also free from some deal or promotion from upgrading the plan, I'd be happy as well.

Also, can someone explain to me internet issues? What's the difference between wireless and 3/4G, and how will that affect 1. the ease which I get internet and 2. the cost of the monthly plan?

You know more than me probably, so any other relevant comments would be welcome. Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: New Spring phone recommendations please!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New Spring phone recommendations please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
While I like the Droid, maybe a Blackberry.
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/mobile.html shows we can sync the Google Calendar on both but why not stick with a newer Blackberry.

For me the wireless/wifi/3/4g issue is moot. I have yet to approach the 5GB data cap on my Sprint account so I'll just use which ever wireless data is available.

Nod to another blackberry?
Bob
- Collapse -
Answers the Google Calendar issue

Thanks R Proffitt for giving me two examples of phones that could sync with Google Calendar! I'll think about them and hope to consider the other factors as well.

- Collapse -
BTW.

I have the Sprint EVO 4G droid and a plan in SoCal, USA. While pricey it does deliver for the bucks. I can't say I'd write that for an iphon or go near the Verizon droids.

In fact, the Verizon droids are not what anyone should consider unless such were free and about 9.99 or less a month. Yes, verizon really did that badly.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info