TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New Sony DLP technology

by patterson / January 19, 2006 4:33 AM PST

Just stumbled upon Cnet's advance tease about Sony's new 55" SXRD anounced at the C.E.S. Nice size compromise between the current 50" and 60" DLP sets Sony currently offers. Thought to have 1080p compatable HDMI inputs, slimmer cabinet, and a new light engine. Might be worth the wait for high end buyers until this new offering is released along with Samsung's supposedly similar 56". Just thought you might like to know. I know I'm gonna wait....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Sony DLP technology
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Sony DLP technology
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I 'am waiting to see the Sony sxrd projector
by stewart norrie / January 19, 2006 4:47 AM PST

Just think 110" of mouth watering picture. I dont know what the price is going to be but If you can pick one up for $6000 Iam going to buy it. I love my old Sony 65" hi-def set but you get the feeling that your looking at a big box with a picture in it, and the plasma sets look llike a picture on the wall but for some reason when you see a movie screen its like you are in a movie theater I know that sounds stupid Also its so hard to see resonabley priced projectors on disply The only projectors I have seen cost as much as a house good luck to you stewart

Collapse -
Great viewing
by HTHMAN / January 19, 2006 5:00 AM PST

and you only have to sit 22 feet from the screen to enjoy it.

Collapse -
NOT DLP!!! LCoS!!!!
by jcrobso / January 19, 2006 6:01 AM PST

Sony only makes LCoS and LCD, no plasma or DLP. John

Collapse -
Geeeeze........sorry, John
by patterson / January 19, 2006 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: NOT DLP!!! LCoS!!!!

I'm just getting into this big screen thing, and I'm sorry I have my terminologies confused. I think it was blatantly obvious that I was just trying to alert other prospective buyers of new improvements in the upcoming Sony lineup. Sorry if I offended your expertise. If you proofread your biography, you'll find four misspellings, and two capitalization errors, but I don't slam you for it. Try to be a little more understanding of others who are trying to wade through this maze of technological madness, and unfortunately don't share your acumen. As fellow Cnet users, I think we should all be on the same side. Happy Bob Orlando Fl. rgpatterson@earthlink.net

Collapse -
I'm not offended, just clearing up terms.
by jcrobso / January 27, 2006 6:24 AM PST

I wasn't tring to slam you. I'm sorry you took it that way.
If you have ANY questions feel free to contact me.

There is no spell check for the profile scetion, I'm the reason that spell checking was invented. When I get time I will go back and redo it.
One of our fourm moderators favorite quote is "no I didn't spell check it"
Have a good weekend. John

Collapse -
SONY PMB-50HX1, 50'' PlasmaPro TV still......
by Riverledge / January 19, 2006 9:43 AM PST

Available at J&R Electronics in NY.
I've seen other stores currently selling this model.
It's most likely a Close-Out deal. Runs about $3500.
Sony is really moving toward it's flat panel LCD's
and SXRD (LCoS) displays. I'd look for a good deal on the KDS-R50BRX1.

Collapse -
I'm So Happy I Got One Of Sony's Last Plasma's.....
by Psych Doc / January 27, 2006 9:05 AM PST

...Before they got out of the plasma business.

Great set, the KDE-42XS955.

Collapse -
Hey Doc........
by patterson / January 27, 2006 12:03 PM PST

Hi,

I'm obviously still learning this big screen thing. I would be anxious to hear why you prefer the plasma sets. Not anxious as in the DSM4 :), but always interested in other's opinions and input. Email me anytime. Thanks....Bob rgpatterson@earthlink.net Happy

Collapse -
If I were sinking those big bucks on a plasma.......
by Riverledge / January 27, 2006 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: Hey Doc........

I'd be anxious as well, probably even in the DSM4 manner. (funny line.) What's your budget? That will make easier for suggestions. Personally, I prefer the SONY SXRD sets 50" & 60".

Collapse -
Did you hear the one about .......
by patterson / January 28, 2006 4:43 AM PST

the M.D., the Ph.D., the music lover, the engineer, and the retired mailman who all walked into Circuit City and came out with five different big screen T.V.s? Looks like the prudent thing to do is wait for the new Sony 55'' and the new Samsung 56'' to make up my mind. Really impressed with the DSM-IV comments. Just proves you never know who's really listening. Seems to be a direct correlation between education and indecisivness. What happened to the good ol' days when we just brought home the K Mart ''blue light special''? Any and all future opinions regarding this perplexing subject would be greatly appreciated. Stay tuned for future episodes. Bob (Orlando) rgpatterson@earthlink.net

Collapse -
Definate correlation between EDUCATION and INDECISIVNESS....
by Riverledge / January 28, 2006 2:54 PM PST

HAD I'd have known then what I know now, I wouldn't gone to college. Darn Jesuits made me THINK TOO MUCH. I would have a new HDTV by yet. So,I'm stuck on SONY,
is there anything WRONG with that!!! (Stewart this is where you jump in and tell us WE ARE ALL WRONG.)

Truth is, something so simple.....so complicated....

river.

P.S. the answer to the question is the retired Letter Carrier ended up with THE BEST TV. Right Bob.!

Collapse -
RIVERLEDGE INDECISVNESS HERE
by stewart norrie / January 29, 2006 9:24 AM PST

How did you know that was my middle name ha So board today cant wait for drag racing and N.A.S.C.A.R to start then you will never have hear my B--L Sh-t again .+ no other chat room will have poor me Also being retired is driving me dingy. I guess I need a new hobby like swiming with the sharks. Saw George Carlin last night he pulled out a letter and said well this one is from the american pancake association and the letter read F--K waffles chat with you soon stewart the pest

Collapse -
Good ole days,Hmm
by jcrobso / January 29, 2006 5:00 AM PST

Yes, back then there was only one kind of TV,, a CRT!!!
14 years ago when I got my 32" there were two kinds, direct view CRT and CRT-RP. But now!!! DLP,LCD-RP,LCD direct view,LCD and DLP front projection,LCoS,plasma and we still have the god old CRT. Are you brains fired yet??? When the average cost of the "new tech" sets is over $2000, many people spend a lot of time deciding.
For new members who are on the quest fot the HDTV here is a link that will help. John
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html?tag=prmo1

Collapse -
SONY does make a 55'' rear projection LCD model but.......
by Riverledge / January 26, 2006 11:24 AM PST

it's not an SXRD LCos model. Check out the Sony LCD
model KDF-E55A20; maybe this is what you're looking for.Hope it helps, good shopping.

river.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?