Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New second internal hard drive?

by lizziealso / August 23, 2006 5:04 AM PDT

Hi, i have a sony vaio bought in 2001. It had only 256 ram and a little mbs hard drive. I use windows xp. Recently i was getting low disk space messages and then i tried to run my defragger and it said i didnt have enough room to run it. So i bought 256 more ram and put it in, and now have 512 ram. Then i bought a second internal hard drive and designated it as "slave"-it was for 120gb's. They both show up in my system info so it seems the os knows their there. But, when i tried to run my defrag again-it said i didnt have enough space on my c drive again. All that new room and my computer doesnt seem to be using it! Im i missing something here? Do i need to tell it to use it? I just dont get it. arggg!!! Lizzie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New second internal hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New second internal hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It can't use it....
by steve749 / August 23, 2006 5:46 AM PDT

Assuming you are using Microsoft's built-in defrag tool, it doesn't look at other drives or the memory but how much free space is on the drive that it can use and needs 15% I think in order to run. What you will have to do is move some data from one drive to the other to free up enough to do the defrag, or at least that is what I've done in the past.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Steps To Clean Up the C Drive
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

As mentioned in the previous post, you'll need to clean up the C drive before Defrag, etc. will run correctly.. In addition to moving filessuch as pictures and music files from the C to the new drive, you should also follow the steps below to eliminate unnecessary files on the current C drive:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

If you're also using Service Pack 2 with XP, then try tidying up just a little more with the link below.

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Things to do:
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2006 7:20 AM PDT

1. Check that you have indeed a new driver letter in My Computer and Windows Explorer. It's likely to be d:, with your cd-drive now e: in stead of d:. If not you didn't do the full and correct install of the drive. See http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html for a good instruction.

2. However, even after doing #1 it's still empty. Assuming most of your disc space is being used by your My Documents, it's best to move that folder from c: to d:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310147 and
http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_documents.htm tell you how to do that.

3. Moving folders other than My Documents is difficult or impossible. Post with more information if it's really necessary to do it.

4. Keeping things clean (according to Grif's instructions) always pays off, or course.

5. Don't forget to backup your data to some other device regularly. A new hard disk can fail just like an older one, and you don't want to lose your files, don't you?

Kees

Collapse -
Thank You All!
by lizziealso / August 23, 2006 9:08 AM PDT

I saw that my C-Drive was still full..just didn't realize how to use the new drive. I guess now i will have to learn how to move some stuff(my docs) onto the new drive! Learned a lot. Again, thanks Lizzie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.